Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advice for Moms Advice for Moms

GREAT idea for helping your kids in a difficult spot

Posted by on Jan. 15, 2014 at 6:28 PM
  • 17 Replies

My DS's sunday school teacher gave some great advice please let your kids know this...

If they are ever at a friends house and want to come home but dont want to be labled a baby or teased or anything (we all know how bad bulling is lately) get them to call home and say "Mom(or dad what ever) I am so sorry but I forgot to (feed the cat. dog, unload the dishwasher, take out the garbage) what ever...that is your single that either they are going to watch/play or do something that they know they are not allowed to do.

You show up like hells fury. "I told you that if you forgot one more time you are grounded lets go now"

They get out of what ever situation they needed out of and still stay face. Maybe even get some sympathy because they have "the meanist mommy ever"

by on Jan. 15, 2014 at 6:28 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
EntrepeneurMom
by Member on Jan. 15, 2014 at 6:30 PM
Good idea :)
mawfia
by New Member on Jan. 15, 2014 at 7:19 PM
2 moms liked this
That is a good idea. I have no problem with my kids blaming me of they need to get out of a situation.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Connorsmommy13
by Bronze Member on Jan. 16, 2014 at 1:47 AM

Quoting mawfia: That is a good idea. I have no problem with my kids blaming me of they need to get out of a situation.

Yes but they might feel akward saying "I cant watch (blank) because my mom wont let me" but for them to call you and you to have a secret phrase that alerts you then its the same thing but might be easier for them then the whole "my mom wont let me"

a_and_j_momma
by Gold Member on Jan. 16, 2014 at 1:49 AM
1 mom liked this
I don't know if I like to teach them to lie to get out of something. If I didn't trust the parent or kid to not tease my son, my kiddo wouldn't be there
JasonsMom2007
by Platinum Member on Jan. 16, 2014 at 2:05 AM
1 mom liked this
I have mixed feelings about this. Like why would a Sunday school teacher encourage a child to lie? Why wouldn't she encourage them to do the right thing even when it's hard? That's what we try to teach our kids.
Connorsmommy13
by Bronze Member on Jan. 16, 2014 at 12:53 PM

Quoting a_and_j_momma: I don't know if I like to teach them to lie to get out of something. If I didn't trust the parent or kid to not tease my son, my kiddo wouldn't be there

I guess your kids go to a prefect school, none of the "haha ha you are such a baby your not allowed to watch (blank) or play (blank)" Or "Why don't you just do it your mom will never find out" Even the prefect kid can be peer presured.

I much rather my kid lie then do something they dont want to...

I of course rather he never have to lie, but in this case a small lie is better.

Connorsmommy13
by Bronze Member on Jan. 16, 2014 at 12:55 PM

Quoting JasonsMom2007: I have mixed feelings about this. Like why would a Sunday school teacher encourage a child to lie? Why wouldn't she encourage them to do the right thing even when it's hard? That's what we try to teach our kids.

Do you remember being a kid? How hard it is for a CHILD to not watch or play that movie or game that you told them they are not allowed when everyone else at that house is doing?

I much rather he have a way out when the pressure is too much.

I am teaching my kid that too but it is always good to have a backup plan.

JasonsMom2007
by Platinum Member on Jan. 16, 2014 at 2:15 PM
Yes I remember being a child. And I remember telling my friends that I couldn't watch something and them saying ok let's pick something else. It wasn't a big deal because they were true friends and understood.

Quoting Connorsmommy13:

Quoting JasonsMom2007: I have mixed feelings about this. Like why would a Sunday school teacher encourage a child to lie? Why wouldn't she encourage them to do the right thing even when it's hard? That's what we try to teach our kids.

Do you remember being a kid? How hard it is for a CHILD to not watch or play that movie or game that you told them they are not allowed when everyone else at that house is doing?

I much rather he have a way out when the pressure is too much.

I am teaching my kid that too but it is always good to have a backup plan.

a_and_j_momma
by Gold Member on Jan. 16, 2014 at 2:52 PM
I can honestly say my 12 and 5 year olds have never said anything about teasing. I was never teased growing up either

Quoting Connorsmommy13:

Quoting a_and_j_momma: I don't know if I like to teach them to lie to get out of something. If I didn't trust the parent or kid to not tease my son, my kiddo wouldn't be there

I guess your kids go to a prefect school, none of the "haha ha you are such a baby your not allowed to watch (blank) or play (blank)" Or "Why don't you just do it your mom will never find out" Even the prefect kid can be peer presured.

I much rather my kid lie then do something they dont want to...

I of course rather he never have to lie, but in this case a small lie is better.

Connorsmommy13
by Bronze Member on Jan. 17, 2014 at 1:06 AM

Quoting a_and_j_momma: I can honestly say my 12 and 5 year olds have never said anything about teasing. I was never teased growing up either

Wow... your lucky. Kids in my DS grade one class brought him a pull up because I wouldnt let him play some war game that is rated M

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN