Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Vacation rentals, have you ever used one? **EDIT

Posted by on Jan. 16, 2014 at 4:37 PM
  • 33 Replies

** Wow ladies, thanks! There was a lot more responses than I thought there would be.  :))

I looked at the two sites most mentioned in this thread, vrb I believe it was and homeaway. Stuff was way more expensive than the cragislist was showing! Makes me pretty weary of any craigslist deals. 

I think ultimately, it's close to our anniversary anyway so maybe we'll truck on over to reno to stay, then make the drive to mudder. 

Thanks again gals, some of your trips sound fabulous!

My DH and I are likely going to "ToughMudder" in aug this coming year.

It's in Tahoe, we're on the coast just west of there.

We usually use hotels when we travel but I've been looking at craigslist and there's whole houses or even just studios for rent pretty cheap. 

Have you ever done this? Especially in that particular area. What was your experience like, cheers, jeers...

Would you do it again?

by on Jan. 16, 2014 at 4:37 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
aurora.dove
by Bronze Member on Jan. 16, 2014 at 4:47 PM

I've done vacation rentals before, though never in that area. We have rented in West virginia in the mountains, Gatlinburg TN in the mountains, and Oak Island NC as well as Bald Head Island NC. I've never had a bad experience.

Bmat
by Barb on Jan. 16, 2014 at 5:03 PM

We like to rent a house. Just make sure it has the basics- internet, TV, microwave, AC, enough bedrooms and bathrooms. We usually rent through a vacation rental company, and they are pretty reliable about getting and returning the key and about what is available.

Bmat
by Barb on Jan. 16, 2014 at 5:04 PM

I've never rented in the area that you are thinking of, though.

steffielou_who
by Silver Member on Jan. 16, 2014 at 5:06 PM
I live in west Virginia!

Quoting aurora.dove:

I've done vacation rentals before, though never in that area. We have rented in West virginia in the mountains, Gatlinburg TN in the mountains, and Oak Island NC as well as Bald Head Island NC. I've never had a bad experience.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
countrymomma81
by Member on Jan. 16, 2014 at 5:07 PM

We rented a condo last year in Florida. We had a good experience and will rent the same one this year. 

It's way better than a hotel. They had two bedrooms, two bathrooms, a full kitchen with a dishwasher, washer and dryer...everything. 

Lindalou907
by Silver Member on Jan. 16, 2014 at 5:26 PM

I've never rented in the Tahoe area, but my kids have, and it winds up cheaper and better for them if they have friends to split the cost with. It's great to have a kitchen and a homier feel than a hotel. You can also check VRBO.com and airb&b they will have ratings from former renters. Craigslist is probably cheaper but slightly riskier I suppose, but I would do it.

SamMom912
by Silver Member on Jan. 16, 2014 at 5:27 PM

Weve rented a house in the Florida Keys thru VRBO.com, vacation rentals by owner as well as a condo on the beach in SC thru homeaway... Oh and a cute beach house in Maine from Homeaway as well.. 

All the places were clean, people were nice and the rentals were pretty much what they looked like on the websites. i was disappointed withbthe location of one, they claimed to be "on the beach" but in all acuality you could not walk onto the beach, there was a huge rock wall in front of the property that didnt block views, but blocked easy access. You needed to walk down a flight of wooden stairs (about 15) to get to the beach... With a 3 year old, and beach stroller it was a pain.. LOL. So, be specific about your questions... My only advice. :) 

Clubpenguin
by Member on Jan. 16, 2014 at 5:35 PM
We rent In jersey and Maryland. It's nice you have a lot of room. You save on meals because you can cook there. And have a washing machine.
aurora.dove
by Bronze Member on Jan. 16, 2014 at 7:48 PM

This was a long time ago, I was probably about 14 or so. We went white water rafting and rented a big cabin there. It was beautiful!

Quoting steffielou_who: I live in west Virginia!

Quoting aurora.dove:

ShiylahsMommy
by on Jan. 16, 2014 at 7:52 PM
My parents and I have done it. Didn't regret a second of it :) we went back to one 2x but recently it burned down :( it was at long beach island nj. I can't remember where the other one was tho
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)