Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

After school care, do you use it?

Posted by on Jan. 16, 2014 at 4:49 PM
  • 18 Replies

This is all new to me.

I was a sahm for many years, and now I work ft. However I work 6p-6a, opposite of my dh and am still around for the kids, all the time. I take them to school, pick them up, I'm the one who takes them to their activites if it doesn't conflict with work, (then it's dh) I attend conferences, field trips, I've been really lucky it just works out lol.

ANYWAY, I've also been in school since last spring. This new semester starts next week and there's one day, tuesday- that my class runs longer than there school.

I was gonna have my mom help, she recently moved back to my area and is great- but works where I do and was scheduled every freaking tuesday (days) in feb lol. OKAY.

MIL is generally unable. Usually sick and just not reliable. She's great, don't get me wrong- just. I need a PLAN. EVERY WEEK.

I went to look at places yesterday, there's two the same distance from our school that comes to the school and walks them over. 

They'll have snack, do some homework and play then dh will pick them up. 

I'm taking the kids there to see it today, wish my luck. I just hope this works. I really hate relinquinshing care when we've always been capable. KWIM?!   :)

Do you use it? Love it? Anything lol?

by on Jan. 16, 2014 at 4:49 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
AM-BRAT
by Amber on Jan. 16, 2014 at 8:09 PM
I'm so mad I wrote 'there' instead of 'their' in the op lol. Grrr! Can't change it from mobile just now. (sometimes it works wth lol!)

Anyway. The girls dug on it, dh and I haven't had the serious talk yet but we will and I plan on paying tomorrow so whatever. :)
vbway
by on Jan. 16, 2014 at 8:34 PM

I use both before care and aftercare. The school provides both (for a fee). So there is no need to interview other places or have the kids leave the school. I really like it. They have plenty of time to complete their homework and then play before I get there. Then when we get home, I review all homework. For us, it works well. But then again, I work m-f 8-5 and have no help. So, it has to work. I hope it works out well for you and your kids. 

A.J.s_mommy
by Silver Member on Jan. 16, 2014 at 8:36 PM
We don't need it, but good luck to you. I know it can be hard finding the right place.
sexychica25
by on Jan. 16, 2014 at 8:37 PM
Never. I don't trust strangers
JeremysMom
by on Jan. 16, 2014 at 8:41 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting sexychica25: Never. I don't trust strangers

Strangers are only friends you haven't met yet.

sexychica25
by on Jan. 16, 2014 at 8:43 PM
Thankfully I don't have to meet any daycare strangers.lol

Quoting JeremysMom:

Quoting sexychica25: Never. I don't trust strangers

Strangers are only friends you haven't met yet.

JeremysMom
by on Jan. 16, 2014 at 8:44 PM

My son's school has an after school program. Up until this point, I have only used it if I had a meeting that ran over or a special project going on since I worked school hours. This year I work a regualar 8-5 job. The after school care are teachers at the school. My son enjoys it. They have outside time, computer lab/homework time, arts and crafts, etc. 

I also used to work at an after school care program where we would walk the kids from the school to our facility. It was by far my favorite job that I have ever had. 

Tambri
by on Jan. 16, 2014 at 8:47 PM
You do what you have to do. Just trust your gut. I know there are downloadable questionnaires avail online for you as a parent to interview your potential caregivers .
I do use bf and after care sometimes in our school, so it's the same nuns all the time. And yes I trust them. But for your situation it's harder, and you can't be too diligent! Good luck!
Mom2Just1
by Mom2boys on Jan. 16, 2014 at 8:57 PM
Never needed to use it. I stay home. But if we did we would.
AM-BRAT
by Amber on Jan. 18, 2014 at 4:47 PM
1 mom liked this

Thanks! 

Our school has an aftercare program but last year I didn't get in, and this year, I have a kinder kid which they don't provide care for.

HOPEFULLY I'll get in next year, and it's free too. For now it is what it is!

Quoting vbway:

I use both before care and aftercare. The school provides both (for a fee). So there is no need to interview other places or have the kids leave the school. I really like it. They have plenty of time to complete their homework and then play before I get there. Then when we get home, I review all homework. For us, it works well. But then again, I work m-f 8-5 and have no help. So, it has to work. I hope it works out well for you and your kids. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)