Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advice for Moms Advice for Moms

How young is too young for FB?

Posted by on Jan. 17, 2014 at 7:54 PM
  • 96 Replies

About 6 months ago I deleted my Facebook account.  I just wasn't on it too much and I'm just over it.  This is the only account I have that is close to any kind of social media. This upset my mom because she lives far away and she enjoyed seeing what was going on with her grandson.  I told her I'd e-mail her pictures and updates but that didn't seem to please her.  She asked me start an account for my son.  Well....he's 7 sooooooooo no, I think that's too young.

But I was wondering (as he gets older), how young is too young for Facebook?  At what age did you, or will you, allow your children to start an account?

by on Jan. 17, 2014 at 7:54 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
steffiecox
by on Jan. 17, 2014 at 7:57 PM
IMO 7 is too young. I'm not sure what age I'd let my kids have a facebook account. I see alot of mature posts on there. My oldest is 3 so I have a few years to think about that.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
frndlyfn
by Platinum Member on Jan. 17, 2014 at 7:57 PM

She would not be allowed on her own until 14 or so.  She is 7 as well so she can get on mine anytime to send messages to family.

MonkeysMother
by on Jan. 17, 2014 at 8:00 PM

Yeah he's way too young.  He's still learning to read and write.  But I have friends that allow their 9 and 10 year olds to have accounts.  I don't think a child that young understands the implications of their posts.

Quoting steffiecox: IMO 7 is too young. I'm not sure what age I'd let my kids have a facebook account. I see alot of mature posts on there. My oldest is 3 so I have a few years to think about that.

atlmom2
by Ruby Member on Jan. 17, 2014 at 8:03 PM
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MonkeysMother
by on Jan. 17, 2014 at 8:03 PM

When I had my son I knew I would have a few difficult talks with him.  Like birds and the bees and why it's not okay to hit someone....I never thought I would have to talk to him about what kinds of information would be okay to share with the world and how it could be used against him. 

Quoting frndlyfn:

She would not be allowed on her own until 14 or so.  She is 7 as well so she can get on mine anytime to send messages to family.

Doctorsherlock
by on Jan. 17, 2014 at 8:08 PM

My 13yr old doesn't have one though I might consider it when he turns 14 thats the age I let my twins get one.

GleekingOut
by Member on Jan. 17, 2014 at 8:10 PM

13. Like the rules say.

handy0318
by on Jan. 17, 2014 at 8:11 PM
1 mom liked this

I think facebook requires that people be 13.

Both of my kids got facebook accounts when they were 13 and sure enough, my dd got into some trouble with hers. Nothing serious, but I deactivated it for a while. DS is the younger and seems to have learned via his big sister's mistakes. 

Naturally, you would have all passwords and you will go on the account frequently and check friends, messages, postings, etc. Facebook is not "private". They might as well learn from the get go, that nothing posted on the Internet ever is.

Mom2Just1
by Mom2boys on Jan. 17, 2014 at 8:19 PM
The rules are 13.
frndlyfn
by Platinum Member on Jan. 17, 2014 at 8:25 PM

I learned the lesson of keeping things to myself before internet even existed LOL.  Who could know where i live for example.  Now kids can dumbly take pictures and show the whole world their bad choice in actions.

Quoting MonkeysMother:

When I had my son I knew I would have a few difficult talks with him.  Like birds and the bees and why it's not okay to hit someone....I never thought I would have to talk to him about what kinds of information would be okay to share with the world and how it could be used against him. 

Quoting frndlyfn:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN