Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advice for Moms Advice for Moms

oatmeal in a 6 week bottle

Posted by on Jan. 20, 2014 at 8:23 AM
  • 101 Replies

my 6 and half week want to eat all  the time, so the dr reccomended cereal in bottle.   i thought he was too young and would hurt his stomach, but my husband disagree, so we r doing it.  only side effect so far is,more bowel movements and spasms or twitching.    he is more content and going longer in between feedings and sleeping longer, but still worry about long term effects. please help, thanks 

by on Jan. 20, 2014 at 8:23 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
emmy526
by Silver Member on Jan. 20, 2014 at 8:48 AM
11 moms liked this

Spasms or twitching means his bowels are not mature enough for that yet.  I'd stop and let him have a bottle more often instead.  What is with parents having a problem with a newborn eating all the time anyways?  I see so much of this all the time, wanting to put cereal in a newborns bottle.  

And, how can he be more content if he is twitching and having spasms?  

lilblu399
by Bronze Member on Jan. 20, 2014 at 8:52 AM
2 moms liked this
An infant wanting to eat is NORMAL, give the kid more milk and find another Dr. There are cases where it's fine like acid reflux but to just get the kid to sleep or stretch out feedings? No.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
PhoenixsMommy10
by Member on Jan. 20, 2014 at 8:55 AM
2 moms liked this
Babies are meant to eat frequently because they have tiny bellies.
Libra113
by Member on Jan. 20, 2014 at 8:55 AM
I have my two children cereal in their bottles by 8 weeks. My oldest only got it at night as she would wake up every 45 to an hour to eat. My youngest needed it in every bottle due to severe acid reflux. They are now almost 8 and 4 and are as healthy as can be. Maybe wait a few more weeks then try again.
katiebug840204
by Katie on Jan. 20, 2014 at 8:56 AM
He needs a bottle more frequently not cereal in his bottle!
ChancesMommy07
by Silver Member on Jan. 20, 2014 at 9:05 AM

My son got cereal in his bottle at 6 weeks but he had horrible acid reflux so I was mixing it with breast milk. He was also on medicine. 

ETHnCEM
by Member on Jan. 20, 2014 at 9:07 AM
2 moms liked this
I am shocked that a doctor suggested cereal in the bottle. My children's pediatrician said that's a big no no. Baby can get too full cereal shouldn't be started in the bottle ever. I would just feed baby more often or up his bottle by a half ounce or so maybe even an ounce if you think baby is ready
atlmom2
by Ruby Member on Jan. 20, 2014 at 9:07 AM
I waited till 5 months. Then only from a spoon. Add more formula, not cereal.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Mom2Just1
by Mom2boys on Jan. 20, 2014 at 9:22 AM
3 moms liked this
No food should be in
Bottles. I would find a new dr. Babies eating frequently is normal.
The_Doodle
by Bronze Member on Jan. 20, 2014 at 9:24 AM
1 mom liked this

I would start putting an extra 2 ounces of formula in his bottles and ditching the cereal. I'm not anti-baby cereal by any means, but he is too little to digest it.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)