Advertisement
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advice for Moms Advice for Moms

Should it be forced?

Posted by on Jan. 22, 2014 at 2:40 AM
  • 47 Replies

I work with a woman who is pregnant with her 6th child. All 6 have different fathers. From what I understand she has another baby every year or so. Her oldest is 10, the youngest is 1.. She will be quitting her job to "go on welfare". She wants to quit and doesn't want to work. She is on every type of PA available and talks like she is proud of it. Should people deliberately having more kids to get more benefits(and quit their job) be on forced BC? Or forced sterilization? I feel like she is taking advantage of the system BIG time.

by on Jan. 22, 2014 at 2:40 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
SexyTeacher
by Gold Member on Jan. 22, 2014 at 2:41 AM

I am not bashing people on PA. My family was on it for over a year. She is using it for a living.

dixiegurl223626
by Member on Jan. 22, 2014 at 2:45 AM
2 moms liked this
I think there needs to be a time limit on how long you can rely on the system for help. I also think that after a certain amount of kids(3 maybe), Medicaid should not be available. Just my opinion. May not be popular though, but I'm tired of people using the system as a free ride
illogicalkat
by Bronze Member on Jan. 22, 2014 at 6:50 AM

It might sound like a good idea, but it would be very hard to justify forcing some women to use contraceptions or undergo sterilization while refusing other women access to safe, legal abortion (which could very often prevent people from needing public assistance in the first place.)

RitaTequila531
by on Jan. 22, 2014 at 6:54 AM
3 moms liked this
I feel like people need to keep their nose in their own business.
The world would be a better place.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Mom2Just1
by Mom2boys on Jan. 22, 2014 at 7:54 AM
I'm pro choice. I don't agree with forced sterilization.
emmy526
by Silver Member on Jan. 22, 2014 at 8:51 AM
1 mom liked this

I'm wondering why her life choices bother you that badly.....how about if you were forced to mind your own business?

emmy526
by Silver Member on Jan. 22, 2014 at 8:52 AM
1 mom liked this

a lot of states do have time limits, but with the recession and no jobs, the limits were relaxed. And kids should go sick or what simply because of mom's choices? That's pathetic, just what society doens't need - - more sick kids

Quoting dixiegurl223626: I think there needs to be a time limit on how long you can rely on the system for help. I also think that after a certain amount of kids(3 maybe), Medicaid should not be available. Just my opinion. May not be popular though, but I'm tired of people using the system as a free ride

polkaspots
by Bronze Member on Jan. 22, 2014 at 8:53 AM
1 mom liked this
In theory that makes sense, but what happens when the kids get sick and their parents don't have the insurance or the money to pay out of pocket? Or mom gets the flu and can't care for her children?

Quoting dixiegurl223626: I think there needs to be a time limit on how long you can rely on the system for help. I also think that after a certain amount of kids(3 maybe), Medicaid should not be available. Just my opinion. May not be popular though, but I'm tired of people using the system as a free ride
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
SamMom912
by Silver Member on Jan. 22, 2014 at 8:57 AM
2 moms liked this

I agree with you.. Help isnt a permanent solution. And Id love to mind my own business in this, providing my obligation to put into the "help" fund is removed. Im happy to HELP people.. But I am not happy to support people.. 

dixiegurl223626
by Member on Jan. 22, 2014 at 9:07 AM

I'm not saying kids should go sick because of mom's choices. I'm say people should be expected to take some responsibility for themselves. Maybe if the government would make the mothers participate in work programs or community service for the medicaid or something. Its just ridiculous how people use the system.

Quoting emmy526:

a lot of states do have time limits, but with the recession and no jobs, the limits were relaxed. And kids should go sick or what simply because of mom's choices? That's pathetic, just what society doens't need - - more sick kids

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)