Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advice for Moms Advice for Moms

7 Life-Changing Books That Should Be On Your 'Must-Read' List

Posted by on Jan. 22, 2014 at 9:58 AM
  • 9 Replies

7 Life-Changing Books That Should Be On Your 'Must-Read' List

by Emily Abbate

Inspiring_booksI don't know one person who doesn't wish that they had more time to curl up with a good book, away from the hectic every day. Granted, there's a lot of enjoyment in a good romance novel or something a bit steamy (ahem, Fifty Shades of Grey) -- but every once in a while when you stumble upon a book that really resonates with you, it's magical. A book that really makes you think, evaluate, question, and has an impact -- it's worth more than it's $9.95 sticker price.

We asked some of our Stir community -- what books have you read that have changed your life? And their answers, well, they may surprise you.

Check out of fabulous titles and the way they've changed lives, here:

'Jane Eyre'

Jane Eyre by Charlotte Bronte

The impact: "Made me want to become a writer. The writing was so powerful to me, I basically just decided I wanted to become a writer. I then spent three years writing a book that pretty much sounded like Charlotte Bronte, only a lot worse. No one wanted to buy it. But I stuck with the writing thing. I still haven’t written the Jane Eyre equivalent, but maybe one day."

'Jane Eyre'

'Fool on the Hill'

Fool on the Hill by Matt Ruff

The impact: "It taught me that fiction doesn’t have to adhere to traditional, realistic structure to ring true to life. It also changed the way I view the world. Not to be cheesy, but it made me constantly aware of the millions of stories taking place around us daily."

'Fool on the Hill'

'The Fountainhead'

The Fountainhead by Ayn Rand

The impact: "It was years ago, and I was sort of lost and lonely, and Howard Rourke basically said to me, 'Do you, baby girl. Do you.'"

'The Fountainhead'

'The Road Less Traveled'

The Road Less Traveled by M. Scott Peck

The impact: "Turned so much of the way I think about life on its head. He redefines love and work, writes about the tremendous effect our parents’ style of raising us has on our personalities and mental health, and delves into human psychology and even God in ways you probably have never thought of. His ideas at the time were extremely revolutionary -- and still are today. There’s a reason that book was so influential and was on practically every parent’s nightstand when it came out in the '70s/'80s. My mom passed it on to me some years ago and I still consult it sometimes."

'The Road Less Traveled'

'Master Your Metabolism'

Master Your Metabolism by Jillian Michaels

The impact: "It really changed my life. The book addresses just how much our diet choices affect our hormones and weight. Much like Food, Inc., it clued me into making the wiser food and lifestyle choices (no more high-fructose, soy protein, Splenda) that would optimize wellness."

'Master Your Metabolism'

'The Language of Letting Go'

The Language of Letting Go by Melody Beattie

The impact: "It’s a book of daily readings, one for each day of the year from January to December, designed for co-dependents, but you don’t have to be one to find meaning and relevance in each of the passages. What I love about it is the readings aren't new agey, touchy-feely, Stewart Smalley crap. It’s a lot more grounded than that. You don’t have to read it sequentially. I pick it up and flip to one of the pages when I’m having a bad day and need it. It's based on the 12 steps idea, so there is a 'higher power' involved here, but to me that is the reassuring part -- that you aren't in this alone. God or whatever you believe in has a plan for you and it’s incredible, all you have to do is trust and follow the path and you will get there."

'The Language of Letting Go'

'Fifty Shades of Grey'

Fifty Shades of Grey by E.L. James

The impact: "The book itself? Ha. But the entire Fifty Shades phenomena has forever changed the topics I write about."

'Fifty Shades of Grey'

What book has changed your life?

by on Jan. 22, 2014 at 9:58 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
IandLoveandYou
by on Jan. 22, 2014 at 10:04 AM
2 moms liked this
I think I'll bookmark it...

Although I'm skeptical of any must read list that includes 50 shades lol.
pixie-buttercup
by Member on Jan. 22, 2014 at 10:05 AM
2 moms liked this

I'm not sure if you lost me at Jillian Michaels or 50 Shades of Gray....

Bmat
by Barb on Jan. 22, 2014 at 10:23 AM

hmmm.   I think I'd say Power of Positive Thinking.

Bmat
by Barb on Jan. 22, 2014 at 10:24 AM

Or maybe Asimov's Foundation.

justahousewife
by on Jan. 22, 2014 at 11:14 AM

lol I'm thinking more along the lines of Principle-Centered Leadership and 7 Habits of Highly Effective People, 

Raindelay
by on Jan. 22, 2014 at 7:19 PM
1 mom liked this
Jane Eyre is my favorite book. Have not even heard of any of the others except 50 Shades which is not my cup if tea.
I would add Lost Symbol by Dan Brown. I know it may sound weird but after reading it I had a sort of spiritual epiphany.
RandiBear
by Member on Jan. 22, 2014 at 10:20 PM

ScreamFree Parenting. Seriously awesome book. Also would recommend the Cold Fire trilogy by CS Friedman. SPECTACULAR series; captivating from the start.

-PB
by Gold Member on Jan. 22, 2014 at 11:25 PM

I really like Ayn Rand.  Anthem is another good book that she wrote.

SelaCarsen
by on Jan. 22, 2014 at 11:28 PM
I chose my college major because of Jane Eyre.
And the book I'm writing now was inspired by Jane Eyre.
You could say it's been life changing!
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN