Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advice for Moms Advice for Moms

Do you bring in or clear out?

Posted by on Jan. 22, 2014 at 8:06 PM
  • 20 Replies

I am watching American Pickers right now, and I am surprised by the way of thinking that "If I want it and have the money, I'll buy it." But then the things end up unused sitting in piles in barns or other outbuidings.

For me, if I can get rid of something, I do, so that things I don't use aren't cluttering my house.

What is your policy on bringing things in, and on clearing things out?

by on Jan. 22, 2014 at 8:06 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
justahousewife
by on Jan. 22, 2014 at 8:08 PM
2 moms liked this
I don't buy unless I am actually going to use it. Irritates the hell outta SO but it cuts back on clutter and saves money.
Bmat
by Barb on Jan. 22, 2014 at 8:11 PM

I agree. At least this is my goal.  A couple years ago I thought I had to have some nice serving items for parties. I've used them twice. I shouldn't have spent the money, and now they just take up room in my cupboards.

Quoting justahousewife: I don't buy unless I am actually going to use it. Irritates the hell outta SO but it cuts back on clutter and saves money.

frndlyfn
by Platinum Member on Jan. 22, 2014 at 8:13 PM
1 mom liked this

Given my past, I have a harder time getting rid of things when they no longer have a use for me.   I am working on it though and got rid of alot of papers and crafts.

justahousewife
by on Jan. 22, 2014 at 8:15 PM
1 mom liked this
Big ticket wants I make myself wait a year while learning everything I can to make sure I make the best choice. Smaller stuff I give it time too. And I never buy on credit which means I have to want it enough to save. Lol

Quoting Bmat:

I agree. At least this is my goal.  A couple years ago I thought I had to have some nice serving items for parties. I've used them twice. I shouldn't have spent the money, and now they just take up room in my cupboards.

Quoting justahousewife: I don't buy unless I am actually going to use it. Irritates the hell outta SO but it cuts back on clutter and saves money.

amberNewman0213
by Bronze Member on Jan. 22, 2014 at 8:15 PM
1 mom liked this
My hubs grandmother is a major horder and she brings stuff in OUR house all the time. I mean a lot of useless stuff like sleeping bags and overnight bags. Icky used comforters. Old ugly paintings. Broken toys. I don't even think about it and it goes straight to the dump. If I don't use it within six months I toss it. Same with the kids toys. If they don't play with it often I throw it out. I HATE clutter. I just see clutter and I instantly get stressed out. It makes my life feel unorganized.......maybe I have issues lol.
Bmat
by Barb on Jan. 22, 2014 at 8:27 PM

There are things that I regret getting rid of.  At the time I thought I simply didn't need them, but then it turns out I did after all, or even regretted giving them away.

Quoting frndlyfn:

Given my past, I have a harder time getting rid of things when they no longer have a use for me.   I am working on it though and got rid of alot of papers and crafts.

Bmat
by Barb on Jan. 22, 2014 at 8:29 PM

This is a good idea. Good for you for saving the money to buy it.

Quoting justahousewife: Big ticket wants I make myself wait a year while learning everything I can to make sure I make the best choice. Smaller stuff I give it time too. And I never buy on credit which means I have to want it enough to save. Lol

Quoting Bmat:

Bmat
by Barb on Jan. 22, 2014 at 8:31 PM

Oh I don't think you have issues LOL!!  It sounds like an excellent idea to toss icky stuff right away. For the toys I put them in a bag and store them a couple months then bring them out. If they still aren't played with, into the donate bag they go. :)

Quoting amberNewman0213: My hubs grandmother is a major horder and she brings stuff in OUR house all the time. I mean a lot of useless stuff like sleeping bags and overnight bags. Icky used comforters. Old ugly paintings. Broken toys. I don't even think about it and it goes straight to the dump. If I don't use it within six months I toss it. Same with the kids toys. If they don't play with it often I throw it out. I HATE clutter. I just see clutter and I instantly get stressed out. It makes my life feel unorganized.......maybe I have issues lol.

Bmat
by Barb on Jan. 22, 2014 at 8:33 PM

My sister says anything she buys, (clothes, shoes, purses- like these)  she gets rid of two of the similar things. So if she buys a purse, she donates two purses that she already has. This way she is cutting down on her clutter. I don't agree with her policy. If I buy a pair of shoes, I don't have two pairs that I can get rid of.

Bleacheddecay
by on Jan. 22, 2014 at 8:42 PM
1 mom liked this

I try not to buy or bring things in. However, we already have too much stuff, particularly in my basement from generations of family. I hate purging things. I need to get to it though.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN