Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advice for Moms Advice for Moms

which is the best rear facing car seat to buy my twin boys who are 14 months old. I need to have them rear facing as long as possible.

Posted by on Jan. 23, 2014 at 12:27 PM
  • 9 Replies

I am torn between the Diono Radian and the Britax marathon or advocate. Does somebody know which is the best of the two? OR, know of another rear facing car seat that is really good, especially for twins?

by on Jan. 23, 2014 at 12:27 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
luvemboth
by Silver Member on Jan. 23, 2014 at 12:37 PM
The Radians are the slimmest, if space is an issue. As far as which seat will allow them to rf the longest, it depends on their sizes. Do you think they'll outgrow the height or weight limits first? You should check out the car seat group here...they're pretty helpful.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
JoanahLee
by Member on Jan. 23, 2014 at 12:38 PM
1 mom liked this

I would only do the Radian if you are trying to get three across, or anticipate having another baby in the next couple years.  No need to pay the premium for the narrow seat if you don't need it.  

The marathon and advocate are both good seats, but I don't have much experience with them.   I know righ now the Chico Nexfit is the one that people are recommending most often, and the Graco headwise (also called size for me, and another name too...all the same seat) is a good choice. 

You may already know this, but if you take your twins or their birth certificates to toys r us you get 10 or 15 percent off when you buy duplicate items like two car seats!!  

And if you have a money tree in your backyard or a spare thousand bucks laying around you could always get a pair of Foonfs! lol

twinsmommyabc
by Member on Jan. 23, 2014 at 12:55 PM

I think my boys will outgrow the height limits before the weight.

countrygirlkat
by Kathleen on Jan. 23, 2014 at 11:28 PM
1 mom liked this

I have not had either of those kinds but there is a carseat group here on CM and there are a lot of carseat techs in that group and they can give you great advice if you give them the kind of vehicle you have etc.  Good luck!

Car Seat Safety

emkirkley
by Bronze Member on Jan. 24, 2014 at 7:37 AM
The Britax seats have short shells and will be outgrown between 36 and 38 inches for most kids, the tallest seats for rfing are the graco contender and size4me/headwise/mysize/fit4me seats, the chicco nextfit, followed by the foonf, radian, peg and elite air 80, budget seats (under 100$) are the sureride and guide 65
MountieMama
by Member on Jan. 24, 2014 at 8:20 AM
We love our britax though we forward faced our son after a year. We did use it for over six months rear facing as he outgrew his infant carseat at 5 months. With britax you can get new longer straps sent to you for free if you call with your serial number. Our son is very comfortable in this seat. I like that it can recline for long car trips! And I like the one hand strap height adjustment.
Aujonfire
by on Jan. 24, 2014 at 10:01 AM
I got my kids the Safety1st Alpha Omega elite at Costco. It goes up to 100 lbs and my kids are extended rear facing kids. They're a little wide but I love the seats
fullxbusymom
by Member on Jan. 24, 2014 at 11:25 AM

Hands down Diono Radian RXT

I was a die hard Britax fan.  After 100's of hours of research we now will not use any seat other than The Diono.  It has the highest height limits, better in side impact.  Overall a much more secure frame structure as well.

Tckosdk.2012
by Bronze Member on Jan. 24, 2014 at 11:45 AM

I have the Graco Size for me 70. It was reccomended by the carseat safety group here on cafemom. It reverse faces up to 40 lbs 40 inches then forward faces up to 70 lbs & I forget how many inches but it's suppost to be the tallest seat on the market so I won't have to buy another seat until it's booster time. I got it from Babies R Us for 180.00 It sometimes goes on sale for 150.00

Join the carseat safety group & ask. They are super helpful :)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)