Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advice for Moms Advice for Moms

How do I teach my 2yo modesty?

Posted by on Jan. 23, 2014 at 12:55 PM
  • 26 Replies

She's wearing more skirts and dresses and while we do put her in bloomers over her diaper, I'd like for her to start learning a bit about keeping her skirt/dress down so when she's older and it matters more, she'll be a bit more aware. The problem is, how do I go about teaching her modesty?

by on Jan. 23, 2014 at 12:55 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
JoanahLee
by Member on Jan. 23, 2014 at 1:00 PM
3 moms liked this

Honestly, until she is toilet trained thats going to be hard.   You can teach her not to pull her skirt up the same way you teach anything else.  What would you do if she was picking her nose all the time... just treat it like another behavior skill to learn, but as far as being awear or not showing her businesses, like not sitting with her legs open, or climbing ladders at the playground Id say that shes too young to have that kind of awearness and if it bothers you that much put her in shorts and pants when she plays and save dresses for calmer occasions where it will be easier to enforce the rules. 

strictmomhere
by Platinum Member on Jan. 23, 2014 at 1:06 PM
Just keep reminding her to put her dress down to keep her legs closed :)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
emmy526
by Silver Member on Jan. 23, 2014 at 1:19 PM
3 moms liked this

So, teach her that when she's a little older and can comprehend what your're trying to teach...modesty doesnt' usually pop up in kids til age 5-6...if you try now, all you'll be doing is telling her the same thing day in and day out and frustrating yourself over it....it won't bother her a  bit for you to frustrate yourself. 

countrygirlkat
by Kathleen on Jan. 23, 2014 at 11:00 PM

I don't think there is much she can understand about it now.  I would let it go until she is older and can understand it more. 

JasonsMom2007
by Platinum Member on Jan. 23, 2014 at 11:03 PM
1 mom liked this
I started around that age by telling my daughter we needed to put shorts on so when she plays people can't see her diaper. She's almost 4 now and won't even wear a nightgown without shorts so people don't see her panties.
fullxbusymom
by Member on Jan. 24, 2014 at 11:13 AM
4 moms liked this

Honestly she is still very little and they don't overly understand it for a long time. 

Ever see Kindergarten and 1st graders hanging upside down with their dresses falling over their head?  Usually kids don't naturally become modest or care until between 5-7yrs old. 

Simply repetition and a pair of shorts under dresses does the trick.

bellydancer1984
by Member on Jan. 24, 2014 at 3:03 PM
1 mom liked this

is there an older girl in your house or family who is good about leaving her dress or skirt down? you could make a point to compliment her on her good habbit of leaving it down in front of her 2 year olds like to copy...

atlmom2
by Ruby Member on Jan. 24, 2014 at 3:48 PM
2 moms liked this
Way too young to learn modesty. They learn this by school age. At least most do. Nothing to fret over now.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Mom2Just1
by Mom2boys on Jan. 24, 2014 at 4:25 PM

She is too young to really understand.  You could always put leggings underneath them.  One more reason why I am glad I have all boys. (: 

Daisypath Anniversary tickersLilypie Second Birthday tickers

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Breastfeeding tickers

DanaG70
by Member on Jan. 24, 2014 at 4:29 PM

I just repeated the phase, that is not how a lady sits, or ladies don't pull up their skirts. She caught on eventually. =)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)