Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Has anyone tried the no shampoo thing?

Posted by on Jan. 30, 2014 at 12:00 AM
  • 13 Replies
How is it? Like it? How long did your natural oils go back to normal so hair wasn't greasy looking? What do you use to clean it?
by on Jan. 30, 2014 at 12:00 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
AM-BRAT
by Amber on Jan. 30, 2014 at 12:12 AM
No poo!

No, I haven't.

There's a gal around the site, kitchy I believe- she has a huge picture-updated post around confessions I think.
funhappymom
by Bronze Member on Jan. 30, 2014 at 8:02 AM

I have no experience with it. I don't think it's for me right now but there are moms who have done it on the natural parenting group.

Mrseoc
by Member on Jan. 30, 2014 at 8:09 AM

Personally no, but since my two year old hates having her hair washed, i pretty much do it with her. She only gets her hair rinsed with clean water nightly, i wash it about twice a month. I know it's not "no poo" but it's likely still helping her scalp not to overproduce oils.

Her hair looks great. Its always shiny, never knotty or greasy looking. It gets less manageable after i wash it. I'd give the "no poo" thing a try.. but my face breaks out when i dont wash my hair. I love being natural and all... but no poo is not for me.

goldpandora
by Member on Jan. 30, 2014 at 8:10 AM
I tried it but after 2 weeks I couldn't stand it any longer. My hair felt dreadful and my scalp itched like crazy.
RubyLu
by Member on Jan. 30, 2014 at 9:00 AM
I've tried it a few times, I'm currently on week 2 of not using shampoo. But, I do wet and condition my hair a few days a week, depending on my work schedules.
I forget where I read it, but somewhere online it said something about using a small amount of conditioner to really stimulate the scalp. I spend a few minutes really working it in. That way it would help pull the natural oils from the root so they aren't pooling there. I use the conditioner as an extra bonus because my hair was fried the last time I died it. Plus I tried using no conditioner and it just didn't feel clean.
My hair appears to have more shine and less fly always without being plastered to my head from the oils.
Bare with me, I am not a hair professional, but I know what's currently working for me.
Hope this helps!
humblemomma
by Member on Jan. 30, 2014 at 9:56 AM
It does! Thank you!

Quoting RubyLu: I've tried it a few times, I'm currently on week 2 of not using shampoo. But, I do wet and condition my hair a few days a week, depending on my work schedules.

I forget where I read it, but somewhere online it said something about using a small amount of conditioner to really stimulate the scalp. I spend a few minutes really working it in. That way it would help pull the natural oils from the root so they aren't pooling there. I use the conditioner as an extra bonus because my hair was fried the last time I died it. Plus I tried using no conditioner and it just didn't feel clean.

My hair appears to have more shine and less fly always without being plastered to my head from the oils.

Bare with me, I am not a hair professional, but I know what's currently working for me.

Hope this helps!
luvemboth
by Silver Member on Jan. 30, 2014 at 10:02 AM
I've cut down to only shampooing once a week. I use baking soda every other day in place of shampoo and just rinse with water every other day. I still use conditioner on the bottom 1/2 every day since I have somewhat long hair. Its worked well for me! Took a couple months to adjust though.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
othermom
by Silver Member on Jan. 30, 2014 at 11:02 AM

Not me

ZombieMeat
by on Jan. 30, 2014 at 11:04 AM

I've never used shampoo, so I know it isn't the same, but if you can make it past the first month, you will have it made and your hair will love you for it.

Mom2Just1
by Mom2boys on Jan. 30, 2014 at 12:03 PM

I only wash my hair once/week. If I go longer...My hair smells, itchy scalp, oily, etc. I tried dry shampoo and that was horrible.

Daisypath Anniversary tickersLilypie Second Birthday tickers

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Breastfeeding tickers

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured