Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advice for Moms Advice for Moms

Help! Picky kid won't eat!

Posted by on Jan. 30, 2014 at 8:03 AM
  • 17 Replies

My sister and my BIL left for a 4 day holiday - they have an anniversary this weekend,  my boyfriend and I are taking care of my nephew, but he is goddamn picky and won't eat half of the stuff we offer! How do you make your kids eat their food? 

by on Jan. 30, 2014 at 8:03 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
goldpandora
by Member on Jan. 30, 2014 at 8:06 AM
1 mom liked this

You don't even try to make him eat. You put what is for dinner in front of him and he can take it or leave it. Trying to make him eat just turns it into a power struggle. Don't make a big deal of it. Either he'll eat or he won't.

Mrseoc
by Member on Jan. 30, 2014 at 8:19 AM

How old is he? if he's 4 and above you can ask him what he likes. You could take him to the grocery store with you and pick stuff out together that he will eat.

... if he's still little you need to try a bunch of different options. Toddlers like finger food, anything they can pick up and snack on without help from adults.

jennsistrunk
by Member on Jan. 30, 2014 at 8:29 AM

i think is silly do make something different from what you will be eating... put it in front of him he doesn't eat ok. put it away and save it for later. No, snacks or dessert unless he eats. When he is hungry pull out tghe plate and try again. I wouldn't force him to eat. just let him know this is his only choice.

SamMom912
by Silver Member on Jan. 30, 2014 at 8:45 AM
1 mom liked this

Hes not your kid.. Feed him what he likes... He may have sensory issues, an oral motor delay.. i have a resistant eater..So I finally did a little research to see if there was anything I could do as a parent to expand his palate. If you want to suggest to your sis some suggestions on how to get their lil munchkin to eat, check out Just Take a Bite: Easy, Effective Answers to Food Aversions and Eating Challenges! or Finiky Eaters: What to Do When Kids Won’t Eat, both by Dr. Lori Ernsperger and Tania Stegen-Hanson or Food Chaining: The Proven 6-Step Plan to Stop Picky Eating, Solve Feeding Problems, and Expand Your Child’s Diet by Cheri Fraker, Dr. Mark Fishbein, Sibyl Cox, and Laura Walbert.

but i wouldnt have that fight with him. Make the stay away from his parents as happy and easy as you can. :) he will thank you for it in the end. 

lanajanefox
by on Jan. 30, 2014 at 9:21 AM
1 mom liked this

Have you thought that maybe he is anxious that his parents are away? That might be the case. Here is a quick quide with a lot of pictures and ideas how you can arrange the food or prepare it for him to make it look attractive and appealing. I know it takes time, but if he is picky by default you can suggest it to your sister too.

Here is it: http://domesticguidelines.com.au/how-to-make-kids-eat-their-food/

Has some great images and ideas how to arrange the food in the plate!

I know from my mom that I was a picky child and she had to sing songs and do all sorts of stuff to entertain me.Could be a power struggle indeed as someone said, but don't make it this way. Just entertain him, or tell him stories.

emmy526
by Silver Member on Jan. 30, 2014 at 9:23 AM

He isn't your kid, and didn't they leave a list of his food preferences?  Can you call them?  Kind of irresponsible of them not to let you know what he likes to eat. 

mommaFruFru
by Bronze Member on Jan. 30, 2014 at 10:00 AM
This.

Quoting SamMom912:

Hes not your kid.. Feed him what he likes... He may have sensory issues, an oral motor delay.. i have a resistant eater..So I finally did a little research to see if there was anything I could do as a parent to expand his palate. If you want to suggest to your sis some suggestions on how to get their lil munchkin to eat, check out Just Take a Bite: Easy, Effective Answers to Food Aversions and Eating Challenges! or Finiky Eaters: What to Do When Kids Won’t Eat, both by Dr. Lori Ernsperger and Tania Stegen-Hanson or Food Chaining: The Proven 6-Step Plan to Stop Picky Eating, Solve Feeding Problems, and Expand Your Child’s Diet by Cheri Fraker, Dr. Mark Fishbein, Sibyl Cox, and Laura Walbert.

but i wouldnt have that fight with him. Make the stay away from his parents as happy and easy as you can. :) he will thank you for it in the end. 

cupcake_mom
by Bronze Member on Jan. 30, 2014 at 10:01 AM
1 mom liked this
My kids eat what cook. There is no such thing as picky in my house so sorry no help here
SarahSuzyQ
by Bronze Member on Jan. 30, 2014 at 10:45 PM
I would not try to handle this the same way I would with my own child. He's not your child, and he's not going to change his eating habits in one weekend. He just needs to feel safe and cared for while his parents are away.

What instructions did they leave you about what he should eat? Can you just take him shopping and have him help you choose some food foe the weekend, as PP suggested?
awesomemommy2
by on Jan. 30, 2014 at 10:48 PM
Its a weekend with his aunt. Make him some chicken nuggets, order a pizza or make him a pb&j.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN