Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advice for Moms Advice for Moms

Are well child checks really necessary?

Posted by on Jan. 30, 2014 at 11:36 AM
  • 57 Replies

My two teens I never really took to the doctor unless they were sick and I haven't taken my almost-2-yo very often, either, but the doctor lectured me last time on the importance of well checks and I think it's silly. Why should I take off work, spend hours at the doctor's office, pay a $35 copay, only to be told that yes, she's perfectly healthy? If it's just for vaccinations, I can get those at the health department quicker, easier, cheaper, and on a better schedule for my work hours than at the pediatrician's office, and with a 15min wait time rather than 1h45min one.

So what do you think? Are well child visits to the doctor really necessary?

Some beach, somewhere
There's a big umbrella casting shade over an empty chair...

by on Jan. 30, 2014 at 11:36 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
emmy526
by Silver Member on Jan. 30, 2014 at 11:42 AM
3 moms liked this

If there are no underlying issues with your child, I find them unnecessary as well. 

Bleacheddecay
by on Jan. 30, 2014 at 11:44 AM
2 moms liked this

I don't think they are very useful to me but to a doctor who otherwise won't get paid I can see them thinking they are useful. LOL

frndlyfn
by Platinum Member on Jan. 30, 2014 at 11:45 AM
3 moms liked this

I think they are since you can catch possible issues before they get out of hand.  We are lucky with dd's insurance there is no copay and we do not have a long wait at the doctors office.  She is 7 now so only goes in for well check or if there is an illness I have a question about.

Ilaynasmommy
by Member on Jan. 30, 2014 at 11:47 AM
I agree but i guess they are good for early intervention. I get stressed with them because i have small children.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
luvemboth
by Silver Member on Jan. 30, 2014 at 11:48 AM
We've never done a well check after they were a year old
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MrsErdos2011
by on Jan. 30, 2014 at 11:49 AM
I don't think they are very necessary but my son always happened to get an ear infection when he was due for one so I always kept the appointment. He hasn't been to a well child check in a little over a year.
1frog
by on Jan. 30, 2014 at 11:52 AM
3 moms liked this

They're a catch-22 IMO. If you're child is deemed healthy, it seems like a waste of time, money, resources. However, if they find something, it's priceless. I did them with ds, the peace of mind was worth it to me. A $35 copay isn't that bad in my opinion.

Pukalani79
by Bronze Member on Jan. 30, 2014 at 12:00 PM

This - with all three of mine, we've ended up either monitoring something or gotten help for an issue as a result of their well child checks. 

Quoting 1frog:

They're a catch-22 IMO. If you're child is deemed healthy, it seems like a waste of time, money, resources. However, if they find something, it's priceless. I did them with ds, the peace of mind was worth it to me. A $35 copay isn't that bad in my opinion.

Mom2Just1
by Mom2boys on Jan. 30, 2014 at 12:02 PM

I find them necessary. It takes 30 minutes tops for our apps.  I pay no co pay because my insurance deems them cost preventive.  

Daisypath Anniversary tickersLilypie Second Birthday tickers

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Breastfeeding tickers

KelliansMom
by Silver Member on Jan. 30, 2014 at 12:25 PM
2 moms liked this
All preventive care is covered and now co pay is needed with our insurance. We as adults should get a yearly physical too. I find them helpful for making sure things are going right in track with my son. But at the same time I do think it's up to the parents to decide what is right for their family.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN