Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advice for Moms Advice for Moms

How old, is old enough?

Posted by on Jan. 30, 2014 at 1:30 PM
  • 29 Replies
Every parent has their own thoughts or beliefs about how old is old enough. Not all parents agree on what is age appropriate or what kids should/shouldn't be able to do in general. What's even worst, is when two parents have different views on "age appropriate" rules for their children. This alone can drive you nuts, let alone the many factors that also come into place, such as ... .. age, sex, grades, and even religion!!!
I myself have to admit that my fiancé and I have a hard time coming to an agreement on our children's "age limits/privileges"!!! Which is so frustrating!!! I'm sure many of you do too. Especially in a world that's constantly changing when it comes to health/medicine, politics, and my main issue, which seems to evolve by the second, ... .. TECHNOLOGY!!!

So, I'm interested to know what other parents thoughts are about how old is old enough for your kid(s) to be allowed their very own ... .. iPod, laptop, PC, tablet, &/or cell phone (with Internet access)?
If you've already allowed your kid(s), what rules or stipulations do they have? Did your child ever break a rule/stipulation? Did you ever catch them doing something they shouldn't be? If yes, what did they do? What was their punishment? Did you ban them for good?

Any stories about this topic, I would love to hear(:
by on Jan. 30, 2014 at 1:30 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
ceciliam
by Cecilia on Jan. 30, 2014 at 1:33 PM
3 moms liked this

I don't think there is a right or wrong answer. I think it comes down to the individual child and their maturity level.

Roo1234
by Bronze Member on Jan. 30, 2014 at 1:39 PM
1 mom liked this
I'm careful to not apply an arbitrary age to many activities. I think it is far more important to make sure that the child in question has the skills and maturity for the activity.

I judge by their behaviors more than anything else when deciding if they are ready for new privileges.

As for the rules...all accounts have to be set up with our permission and we have all passwords and complete access...which I do utilize and monitor.

They don't try to push the limits set. I'm sometimes surprised they haven't pushed more, but I realize I was like that as a child too, so it may just be their personality
Lisp714
by on Jan. 30, 2014 at 2:36 PM
I believe both age and maturity level a lot of times go hand in hand. I mean this because of the development of a child's (age 1-17) brain. Up until age 5 or so, is when a child's brain is developing multiple necessities to live a "normal" life. So to me, I couldn't imagine allowing your child to have all access to the www!!!
I'm just curious to know what others think they'll do, have done and won't do, at certain ages. As well as their outcome.

But like you said, maturity is a HUGE factor!!!

Quoting ceciliam:

I don't think there is a right or wrong answer. I think it comes down to the individual child and their maturity level.

Lisp714
by on Jan. 30, 2014 at 3:02 PM

I agree with this too!

I'm curious to know how old your children were when they did have their own ipod, cell phone ect ...? Basically their personal device that allowed them access to the www? Just to get an idea from others(:

Quoting Roo1234: I'm careful to not apply an arbitrary age to many activities. I think it is far more important to make sure that the child in question has the skills and maturity for the activity.

I judge by their behaviors more than anything else when deciding if they are ready for new privileges.

As for the rules...all accounts have to be set up with our permission and we have all passwords and complete access...which I do utilize and monitor.

They don't try to push the limits set. I'm sometimes surprised they haven't pushed more, but I realize I was like that as a child too, so it may just be their personality

Roo1234
by Bronze Member on Jan. 30, 2014 at 3:09 PM
1 mom liked this
They have access to technologies...smart phones, laptops, tablets but even now at nearly 14,11 and 8 they aren't given unrestricted access. They understand self regulation, we have clear rules about what is appropriate and they just basically ask permission when wanting to explore something new.

Quoting Lisp714:

I agree with this too!

I'm curious to know how old your children were when they did have their own ipod, cell phone ect ...? Basically their personal device that allowed them access to the www? Just to get an idea from others(:

Quoting Roo1234: I'm careful to not apply an arbitrary age to many activities. I think it is far more important to make sure that the child in question has the skills and maturity for the activity.

Lisp714
by on Jan. 30, 2014 at 3:25 PM
Thank you for your input!! I appreciate it(:

Quoting Roo1234: They have access to technologies...smart phones, laptops, tablets but even now at nearly 14,11 and 8 they aren't given unrestricted access. They understand self regulation, we have clear rules about what is appropriate and they just basically ask permission when wanting to explore something new.

Quoting Lisp714:

I agree with this too!

Mishy2
by Michelle on Jan. 30, 2014 at 3:53 PM
1 mom liked this

This. I think it depends on the children and the parents.

Quoting ceciliam:

**** Join us at ~*~ MOMMY CHATS ~*~ - a fun place for moms, moms to be, and TTC women to meet other moms, give advice, share stories, make new friends and just chat http://www.cafemom.com/group/119876

frndlyfn
by Platinum Member on Jan. 30, 2014 at 4:42 PM
1 mom liked this

She is 7 and she recieved a tablet for christmas.  It is one of the tools suggested for her delays.   She gets a certain amount of time each day and we have only put age appropriate games on it for her.  I also put a fun paint app for her and an app that has instruments you can "play".

**she also has access to our laptops which we also monitor her use since there are times she may pull up the wrong website.  Thankfully she is good about letting us know when this happens.

Mom2Just1
by Mom2boys on Jan. 30, 2014 at 4:43 PM
1 mom liked this

We fully discussed this before getting married let alone having children.  We agreed that it depends on the child.We agreed that no child under 16 will have a cell phone though.  No need in my opinion.  

Daisypath Anniversary tickersLilypie Second Birthday tickers

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Breastfeeding tickers

Firenygirl180
by Member on Jan. 30, 2014 at 4:49 PM
1 mom liked this
My 2.5 year old has a kids tablet. We don't have internet at home so there's no issues there. He gets it for about 30 minutes before bed and on long car rides. Its also been great when i have adoctors appointment.

My kids will probably get basic phones when they start doing things after school. And we will probably have internet at home once my oldest is in 1st or second grade. We haven't really discussed technology more than the fact that it will be an even bigger part of our kids loves than it was in ours.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN