Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Daycare... Should I go back to work or stay home with my LO?

Posted by on Jan. 30, 2014 at 7:56 PM
  • 27 Replies
1 mom liked this

I live in Hawaii where daycare can be $1,500 a month for part time, more for full time. My replacement at my old job is going to quit in May or June. My old boss said he'd be more than happy to have me back again if I was ready. My baby will be 8 months old by May 4th. I would like to go back and earn extra money for our family but my husband and I are worried about sending our daughter to daycare. Do any of you have kids in daycare? How do they like it? Do they get enough one on one attention from the providers? I'm worried my daughter won't know the workers and won't like it, or will be alone a lot. 

by on Jan. 30, 2014 at 7:56 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
kellysparkles
by Member on Jan. 30, 2014 at 7:59 PM
1 mom liked this

I'm no help because I am a WAHM - I babysit a little boy to help supplement our income but my anxiety was too high for me to go to work.  I personally wouldn't do a daycare center.  The little boy I sit for, his family found me on care.com and I'm a ton cheaper than a center.

KikiB85
by Member on Jan. 30, 2014 at 7:59 PM
1 mom liked this
My dd did so well in daycare. Her teachers were fabulous and she just did so well. She had her lil bf lol and was potty trained right at 2. She's so smart and ahead of her game and i thank her teachers for it bc they worked so well with her.

No my ds....Not so much. The daycare teachers were changing around so much for him. Really his only good year was the year he had same teachers as my dd.

So I've had good and bad. But 1500 ....yikes....
WILDCATGAL78
by Member on Jan. 30, 2014 at 9:19 PM
1 mom liked this

My daughter goes to an in home daycare. She loves it! My babysitter is licensed by my state. She recently moved and decided to use her old house for daycare and actually just got a group license with one of her old neighbors. My daughter's best friend is a little boy who is 3 months older than she is. Lol.. they don't go anywhere without each other.

alexsmomaubrys2
by Silver Member on Jan. 30, 2014 at 9:20 PM
5 moms liked this

How much money would you actually bring home once you pay for daycare? 

Do you feel that is worth the time away from your child? 

Those are the questions you have to answer. 

KatLee42513
by on Jan. 30, 2014 at 9:23 PM
1 mom liked this
This. Jeep in mind work clothes cost money. Gas, car maintance and food out of work cost money.

I hate the idea of daycare personally and will leave the workforce once baby is born.

Quoting alexsmomaubrys2:

How much money would you actually bring home once you pay for daycare? 

Do you feel that is worth the time away from your child? 

Those are the questions you have to answer. 

countrygirlkat
by Kathleen on Jan. 30, 2014 at 10:21 PM
1 mom liked this

I would really research the daycares in your area and see if there is one that fits what you are looking for.  Take a list of questions you want to ask and take a full tour so you can get a feeling for the place.  I am a SAHM now but had to work for a few months when my oldest two kids were 1 and 2.  We looked at all the ones in the are and decided on an in-home one.  We loved it and the kids liked it and the provider was wonderful.  I was glad when I got to stay home again because I missed my kids and just like being a sAHM better, but while they were there it was great. 

SarahSuzyQ
by Bronze Member on Jan. 30, 2014 at 10:25 PM
1 mom liked this
There is not one right answer, but I would start by really evaluating the finances... Will all of your income just go to daycare? And if so, then would you still want to work?

My son had a great experience while he was in daycare for a few months. The people there really cared about him and were so supportive. But I ended up liking to be a SAHM, and that has been a better fit for our family. Different things work for different people.
seeluxe
by New Member on Jan. 31, 2014 at 2:26 AM

Thank you all so much for your responses. It doesn't seems so bad now, and I'm so glad lots of you had positive experiences with it. We will look into all of our childcare options. I talked to my husband and he really wants me to stay home with her. At least until she's a little older, which I do enjoy, but in a small way is sad because I really loved my old job and probably won't find another one that pays as well, so maybe I won't work until after we move back to the mainland hopefully in a year or two. We don't really need the money per say, but I'd love to pay off our student loans sooner, we'd save so much since our intrest rate is sky-high. 

AM-BRAT
by Amber on Jan. 31, 2014 at 2:41 AM
2 moms liked this
We knew me staying for the first years was important to us.

I went back ft when they were 3&5.

The clencher for me is that I work nights so one of us is always with them and I don't miss much. :)

You've got to find WHAT works for you and WHEN.

There was a point I wasn't ready, and then I was. And I found just the right thing. You'll never regret the time you stayef home, stay home until you're sure. :)
emmy526
by Silver Member on Jan. 31, 2014 at 7:52 AM
2 moms liked this

Is having a sitter come to the house an option?  I think you'll find your child will get sick pretty often in daycare, resulting in you missing work. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured