Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advice for Moms Advice for Moms

Ahhhh! Sleeping baby question.

Posted by on Feb. 3, 2014 at 7:52 AM
  • 11 Replies
My DS is nine months old. He's been a pretty good sleeper and started sleeping through the night fairly early on. In the last month or two he has started waking up all night long. It is often every hour or two like a newborn. This last week he got up every two hours one night, slept through the next., then got up three times the next but was up for over an hour each time. It's all over the place. He knows how to self sooth and put himself to sleep, but when he's standing in his crib bouncing and crying it's obvious to me that he's not going back to bed. Any ideas or advice? I'm just so exhausted.
by on Feb. 3, 2014 at 7:52 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Mishy2
by Michelle on Feb. 3, 2014 at 8:53 AM

Do you think he is hungry or just wants some cuddle time or comfort to get back to sleep.. Is he wide awake when he does wake up.

**** Join us at ~*~ MOMMY CHATS ~*~ - a fun place for moms, moms to be, and TTC women to meet other moms, give advice, share stories, make new friends and just chat http://www.cafemom.com/group/119876

sunnysideup89
by on Feb. 3, 2014 at 10:07 AM

Maybe he's hungry because he's older now.

Or teething.

JC2223
by Bronze Member on Feb. 3, 2014 at 10:14 AM

Babies can have a multitude of reasons why they alter from what we consider to be a set routine. At 9mo he could be going through a growth spurt, which can be painful for them since they grow the most when their bodies are at rest. It could be teething, premolars and molars are painful. These are 2 main reasons why babies alter their sleep routines. It's exhausting and frustrating, but just do your best to try to figure out what is going on with him.

MendoMama52
by Member on Feb. 3, 2014 at 10:34 AM
I don't think he's hungry. I've tried feeding him again after dinner and doing dinner later. I BF right before he goes to bed. I think he wants some cuddle time, but also don't want him to get into that habit.

Quoting Mishy2:

Do you think he is hungry or just wants some cuddle time or comfort to get back to sleep.. Is he wide awake when he does wake up.

MendoMama52
by Member on Feb. 3, 2014 at 10:37 AM
It doesn't seem like either. I've tried different things with food and he already has eight teeth, has never done this with precious teeth, and shows no signs of teething. That's why I'm stumped!

Quoting sunnysideup89:

Maybe he's hungry because he's older now.

Or teething.

MendoMama52
by Member on Feb. 3, 2014 at 10:40 AM
I have been doing my best to figure out what is going on and still have no idea. I also don't have a clue as to what to try. He may be growing, though generally he takes much longer naps before a growth spurt. Thanks for the suggestions though!

Quoting JC2223:

Babies can have a multitude of reasons why they alter from what we consider to be a set routine. At 9mo he could be going through a growth spurt, which can be painful for them since they grow the most when their bodies are at rest. It could be teething, premolars and molars are painful. These are 2 main reasons why babies alter their sleep routines. It's exhausting and frustrating, but just do your best to try to figure out what is going on with him.

MaineMammax2
by Member on Feb. 3, 2014 at 10:48 AM
1 mom liked this
Wait...babies are supposed to sleep?! My girls never got that memo, lol. They are still frequent wakers and they are 7 & 3. I wish I knew how to get them to sleep better, so I am of no help in this matter. Good luck!!
terpmama
by Bronze Member on Feb. 3, 2014 at 10:48 AM
1 mom liked this

They also alter "normal" just before a large leap in skill (gross motor or intellectual) so he may be gearing up for walking or talking type of thing too.

notjstanothrmom
by Silver Member on Feb. 3, 2014 at 10:50 AM
1 mom liked this

New found freedom!!! He's able to pull himself up and move around. Why sleep when you can do so many new things?! lol

Many babies do this around that age because they can!

Hopefully he'll sleep for you soon. He may also be hungry, so feed him if he is. Growth spurts!

SewingMamaLele
by Bronze Member on Feb. 3, 2014 at 10:53 AM
7-9 months is the perfect storm for bad sleep. Growing, teething, separation anxiety, hitting new milestones and being distracted during the day all come together in perfect harmony to make babies of this age wake constantly. With my first, who was already up every 2 hours all night long, he woke just about every 45 minutes.

Nurse him, cuddle him, bring him to your bed... Do whatever works, this storm will pass, but you need your sleep in the meantime!
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN