Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Olympian Nick Goepper's mom let him go. What would you have done?

Posted by on Feb. 3, 2014 at 8:51 AM
  • 75 Replies
1 mom liked this

https://www.facebook.com/thankyoumom

Nick Goepper 19 years old from Indiana slopestyle skier in the Olympics at Sochi. 

There is a video on the P&G site describing Nick's interest in skiing and how his mom encouraged him to pursue his dream.

Nick's parents taught him the value of being creative and to make the best of a situation.  When his dad lost his job, Nick went around the neighborhood and found work to bring in money.

His mom wondered if she should tell him that his dream wasn't realistic. She encouraged him to chase his dream.  His mom, Linda, said that people asked how she could let him go, but she replied, "How could I not let him go?"  It was better that he had a chance to grow in his sport rather than to keep him at home. 

What should a mom do, let the child go to receive training far from home, or keep the child home?  Reading about Nick, it seems obvious that the right choice was made, but what about for those children who don't succeed in what they dream to do? 

by on Feb. 3, 2014 at 8:51 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
TerriC
by on Feb. 3, 2014 at 10:06 AM
4 moms liked this

I think she did the right thing.  And as far as them possibly not succeeding, that is something they have to find out for themselves.  We, as parents, have to let our kids grow and learn success and disappointment.

RADmomma
by on Feb. 3, 2014 at 10:36 AM
2 moms liked this
I agree.

Quoting TerriC:

I think she did the right thing.  And as far as them possibly not succeeding, that is something they have to find out for themselves.  We, as parents, have to let our kids grow and learn success and disappointment.

RobynS
by on Feb. 3, 2014 at 10:40 AM
1 mom liked this

She absolutely did the right thing! We have to give our kids roots AND wings!! :)

ScrChk23
by Amanda on Feb. 3, 2014 at 10:41 AM
2 moms liked this

Exactly

Quoting TerriC:

mrswillie
by on Feb. 3, 2014 at 10:46 AM
2 moms liked this
I agree

Quoting TerriC:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
virginiamama71
by on Feb. 3, 2014 at 11:11 AM
1 mom liked this

agree

Quoting RobynS:

She absolutely did the right thing! We have to give our kids roots AND wings!! :)

othermom
by Silver Member on Feb. 3, 2014 at 11:25 AM
1 mom liked this

I think it deoends on the situation. It is good to let the child pursue their dreams

goddess99
by on Feb. 3, 2014 at 11:31 AM
1 mom liked this

I think she did he right thing too.

Leelee1008
by on Feb. 3, 2014 at 11:48 AM
1 mom liked this

she did the right thing. If my boys were good and needed that extra training I would do it too.

mandee1503
by Bronze Member on Feb. 3, 2014 at 11:48 AM
1 mom liked this

I think she did the right thing. If he wouldn't have succeeded, thats just part of life. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured