Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mikaela Shiffrin, USA Ski Team, Alpine, likes to practice, what do you do when your child doesn't?

Posted by on Feb. 5, 2014 at 8:27 AM
  • 52 Replies

Mikaela Shiffrin USA Ski Team, Alpine

Mikaela's mom Eileen believes in quality repetition.  Eileen says that Mikaela enjoys repeating a skill until it is mastered.

Mikaela remembers that her home life as a child was happy, that her parents made the home environment fun. When she is on a podium receiving an award, Mikaela says that her family is right there with her.

Eileen Shiffrin was lucky that Mikaela had a goal and was willing to work toward it. What do you do when your child wants to learn a skill but is unwilling to practice? 

by on Feb. 5, 2014 at 8:27 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
momofsixangels
by Gold Member on Feb. 5, 2014 at 8:30 AM
1 mom liked this

I tell them to keep trying and not to give up.That noone likes to practice but in order to achieve something you have to always keep trying

Bmat
by Barb on Feb. 5, 2014 at 9:04 AM

My sons wanted certain skills, but they did not want to practice to get them. Like you I urged them to keep trying.

Quoting momofsixangels:

I tell them to keep trying and not to give up.That noone likes to practice but in order to achieve something you have to always keep trying

Kmakksmom
by on Feb. 5, 2014 at 1:10 PM
1 mom liked this

To just not give up.

SweetLuci
by Platinum Member on Feb. 5, 2014 at 1:21 PM
1 mom liked this

Talk to them about the reasons for practice, ask them to tell me what will happen if they don't practice or if they do. I talk about other things they achieved, and how they were able to accomplish them through work and practice. Then I ask if they're ready to quit. That usually does the trick. Ultimately, it's up to them to make the committment. A parent can do a lot to encourage, but the child has to want it and be determined to do the work themselves.

dusky_rose
by on Feb. 5, 2014 at 1:47 PM
1 mom liked this

I tell him that practice makes perfect and if you don't practice then you aren't going to learn how to do it.

~ From your friendly neighborhood Sue :-) <3 ~

sukainah
by on Feb. 5, 2014 at 1:56 PM
1 mom liked this

That is awesome and encouraging!

I just try to keep encouraging my kids not to give up and the more they practice the easier it will become.

jessicasmom1
by Silver Member on Feb. 5, 2014 at 1:58 PM
1 mom liked this

I tell DD practice makes perfect ... you have to do something in order to learn it. Keep trying to be the best you can be.

arpazia
by Member on Feb. 5, 2014 at 2:22 PM
1 mom liked this
I don't force, I do encourage
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
TerriC
by on Feb. 5, 2014 at 2:38 PM
2 moms liked this

Practice makes perfect is exactly what I tell them.  :-)

Quoting dusky_rose:

I tell him that practice makes perfect and if you don't practice then you aren't going to learn how to do it.

Bmat
by Barb on Feb. 5, 2014 at 3:29 PM

This is wise. I wish that I had approached practice like this also.

Quoting SweetLuci:

Talk to them about the reasons for practice, ask them to tell me what will happen if they don't practice or if they do. I talk about other things they achieved, and how they were able to accomplish them through work and practice. Then I ask if they're ready to quit. That usually does the trick. Ultimately, it's up to them to make the committment. A parent can do a lot to encourage, but the child has to want it and be determined to do the work themselves.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)