Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Why shouldn't a step-parent discipline a child?

Posted by on Feb. 5, 2014 at 10:26 AM
  • 15 Replies

DD's stepmom and stepdad both discipline her. While her father and I do most of it they do it too. I don't see a problem with it.

by on Feb. 5, 2014 at 10:26 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
frndlyfn
by Platinum Member on Feb. 5, 2014 at 10:58 AM
1 mom liked this

I dont understand it either.  Any adult within the household should be able to discipline the child within reason.

lilmama8408
by Silver Member on Feb. 5, 2014 at 11:05 AM
My stepmom beat us purely bc she was jealous. My dad refused to have kids with her and she never had a girl like she wanted. She had 2 boys she lost custody of and had a boy who she raised who has all sorts of issues.

My stepdad unfairly punished me because I was the oldest, wasnt his bio kid. And he never wanted girls.

Dh and I agreed if we ever divorced and remarried the stepparent was to have a hands off approach. No punishments ect.

To each their own.
othermom
by Gold Member on Feb. 5, 2014 at 11:10 AM

I am fine with it

othermom
by Gold Member on Feb. 5, 2014 at 11:11 AM

Those situations are wrong, both your step parents acted horrible. My husband is my sons stepdad and raises him as his own and punishes him the same as he does our girls

Quoting lilmama8408: My stepmom beat us purely bc she was jealous. My dad refused to have kids with her and she never had a girl like she wanted. She had 2 boys she lost custody of and had a boy who she raised who has all sorts of issues.

My stepdad unfairly punished me because I was the oldest, wasnt his bio kid. And he never wanted girls.

Dh and I agreed if we ever divorced and remarried the stepparent was to have a hands off approach. No punishments ect.

To each their own.

lilmama8408
by Silver Member on Feb. 5, 2014 at 11:13 AM
My dad often worked saturdays and left us with her. She then told us if we told shed make the next visit worse. Shed also ha e me clean the entire house military white glove clean and take all the credit to my dad.

My stepdad worked nights and my mom just didnt care.

I know some stepparents who are great but that wasnt the case for me

Quoting othermom:

Those situations are wrong, both your step parents acted horrible. My husband is my sons stepdad and raises him as his own and punishes him the same as he does our girls

Quoting lilmama8408: My stepmom beat us purely bc she was jealous. My dad refused to have kids with her and she never had a girl like she wanted. She had 2 boys she lost custody of and had a boy who she raised who has all sorts of issues.

To each their own.

venessaw04
by on Feb. 5, 2014 at 1:53 PM

So people have a mindset that SM/step parents should not do anything but be wife/husbant.  I disipline my skids, they also live with us full time and BM is in prison.  DH disciplines my bios as well, we have them all full time too.  It has never been an issue in our home

twdfan
by on Feb. 5, 2014 at 2:10 PM

If the child(ren) live in your home, then you are caring for them imo, and part of caring for them is discipline.

bonnie333
by Member on Feb. 5, 2014 at 2:10 PM

I dont want my ex to discipline my kids let alone his gf, although my hubby disciplines my kids I try not to discipline his daughter she tattles on every little thing and lies shes only 3 but I dont want to cause issues with BM

SexyTeacher
by Gold Member on Feb. 6, 2014 at 6:28 AM

Why don't you want their father to discipline his own kids?

Quoting bonnie333:

I dont want my ex to discipline my kids let alone his gf, although my hubby disciplines my kids I try not to discipline his daughter she tattles on every little thing and lies shes only 3 but I dont want to cause issues with BM

waytomanykids10
by on Feb. 6, 2014 at 6:56 AM

When my stepkids were children I disciplined them, their mother told them flat out they had to do what I said or they would not be happy kids. They didn't listen or they were rude to me both their parents would get after them.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)