Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Why don't parents...?

Posted by on Feb. 5, 2014 at 6:28 PM
  • 118 Replies
1 mom liked this

Poll

Question: Did your parents talk to you about sex before you actually started having sex?

Options:

Yes

No

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 197

View Results

I have seen so many posts about "my 11 year old is pregnant" or "my twelve year old is having sex".  Now that is sooooo young and very sad but why do parents refrain from talking about sex?  Or why do they wait so late?  And then these people are like "I had no idea they were having sex, we didn't even have 'the talk' yet".

I'm not talking about how babies are made.  I'm talking about birth control, protection from STDs, waiting until the right time (hopefully early adulthood), encouraging the children to talk openly, and even abstenance (even though expecting abstinence until marriage is a little unrealistic imo but we all can only hope).

My mom talked to me about sex, birth control, etc like 6 years before I even decided I had a crush on a boy.  It was embarssing but I'm so glad that she did.  She was a big birth control advocate.  lol  Is that strange?

Now I know some ladies here waited until marriage and thats awesome but did your parents talk to you about sex?  At what age do you plan on talking to your kids about being sexually active?

by on Feb. 5, 2014 at 6:28 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
CASAHM209
by on Feb. 5, 2014 at 6:34 PM
3 moms liked this

We didn't talk about that stuff in our house (we even locked the bathroom door just to pee) but my mom conveniently had a "family health" book on a shelf in her closet that talked about everything from menstruation, childbirth, pubes(LOL) with handy 70's illustrations so with that and high school health class, by the time I was in college I at least knew the basics.

atlmom2
by Ruby Member on Feb. 5, 2014 at 6:34 PM
3 moms liked this
Lol, yes. I was out of hs before I had sex. Mine said don't have sex in hs. I listened. These kids having sex at 11 is pathetic.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
cjsmom1
by Silver Member on Feb. 5, 2014 at 6:39 PM
1 mom liked this
My parents never talked to me about any of those things.
I was raped when I was 13 by a "friend" and continued having sex after that. I figured since no one would marry me since I wasn't a virgin then it didn't matter how many people I slept with. I did get a boyfriend at 14 and we had a child together when I was 17. My mom didn't know I was having sex.
RitaTequila531
by Member on Feb. 5, 2014 at 6:44 PM
1 mom liked this
No, not at all
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
-PB
by Gold Member on Feb. 5, 2014 at 6:46 PM
1 mom liked this

I am very sorry to hear that.  How awful.  At least you ended up with a beautiful child.  Thats a blessing.  Do you think that will effect if/when you talk to your own child?

Quoting cjsmom1: My parents never talked to me about any of those things.
I was raped when I was 13 by a "friend" and continued having sex after that. I figured since no one would marry me since I wasn't a virgin then it didn't matter how many people I slept with. I did get a boyfriend at 14 and we had a child together when I was 17. My mom didn't know I was having sex.

-PB
by Gold Member on Feb. 5, 2014 at 6:47 PM

Its sad.  An 11 year old can't take care of themselves let alone a baby.

Quoting atlmom2: Lol, yes. I was out of hs before I had sex. Mine said don't have sex in hs. I listened. These kids having sex at 11 is pathetic.

tiniowien
by Member on Feb. 5, 2014 at 6:48 PM
3 moms liked this

School talked to me my parents didn'tdidn't

The_Doodle
by Bronze Member on Feb. 5, 2014 at 6:50 PM
1 mom liked this

I am going to talk to my daughter early about sex and periods. I didn't get a talk about either. My first period scared the hell out of me and if it hadn't been for my older sister, I would have known nothing about sexual responsibility or birth control.

korra2013
by on Feb. 5, 2014 at 6:54 PM
1 mom liked this
I was 12 when i first had sex. My boyfriend was 16. My mom worked full time and so i was alone with my sisters. She had talked to me many times about sex but it obviously didn't stop me. I look back on it now and it was so stupid. i was scared and had no idea what i was doing. My mom kinda was doing her own thing at the time too. Parents say they watch their kids but do they really? My mom never checked up on me or who i was with. Not excusing my behavior or saying that made it ok. Just saying that maybe things would have been different if she had questioned me more. Not let me hang out after dark.
frndlyfn
by Platinum Member on Feb. 5, 2014 at 6:54 PM
1 mom liked this

Yes  I was in 2nd or 3rd grade when mom sat me down to talk about things.  I did not have sex until 20s.   This is why i shake my head at people misnaming body parts when they talk about them.   I was spared the infamous 70s book on sexual health.  We had a different one.   I am thinking about buying the American girl one for dd.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)