Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I.u.d or depo shot

Posted by on Feb. 5, 2014 at 7:34 PM
  • 21 Replies
My hubby and I have decided that we are happy with just 2 kids for now. I haven't been on birth control for 4 yrs. I'm looking at getting the I.u.d or depo shot. I would like to see what other women think of these birth control methods. I just can't decide on which one to get.
by on Feb. 5, 2014 at 7:34 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anoronlight
by on Feb. 5, 2014 at 7:37 PM
No depo!!! No no NO! That stuff makes you gain weight! I blew up after getting it and now I'm struggling to get it off. If I knew then what I know now, I never would have agreed to the shot in the first place.

As for the IUD I can't say much on that. But the depo is sucks. Unless you don't mind the weight gain.
rmgriffberg
by on Feb. 5, 2014 at 7:38 PM

never had depo but if you have it too long it harms your chances of having more kids. i had heard bad things about the iud. i personally just had a horrible experiance with the implanon inplant. bump for you though

polkaspots
by on Feb. 5, 2014 at 7:40 PM
Depo provera isn't long term birth control. The fact sheet they give you recommends not using it for longer than two years.
Iuds scare me, so I'm getting nexplanon instead.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
TheMommaJessie
by on Feb. 5, 2014 at 7:43 PM

depo causes a lot of women to gain weight a lot of it. The I.U.D has a lot of issues such as perferating the uterus (which means no more kids), falling out, ect the risks are very high of these things. your best bet is to talk to your OBGYN and see what they suggest for you. My OBGYN discouraged me from both the depo (because I have issues with hormonal birth controls) and the I.U.D (she said not for those that want kids before 5 years) that the risk of the I.U.D causes issuses going in or coming out is high and only goes higher if the doc isn't use to putting them in or taking them out.

momof2boy2girl
by Member on Feb. 5, 2014 at 8:27 PM
I liked my Mirena, but I will be getting the Paragard this time.
momof2boy2girl
by Member on Feb. 5, 2014 at 8:30 PM
Depo caused me to bleed for almost the entire time I was on it, so I will never use it again.
lilmama8408
by Silver Member on Feb. 5, 2014 at 8:34 PM
Depo and iud can cause infertility
aJiG827
by Member on Feb. 5, 2014 at 8:35 PM

Depo does cause weight gain. It also causes irregular bleeding. Many women stop having their periods, or go months between periods, or even have 2 periods each month, while on the Depo shot. It can lead to bone density loss. If you've been on it for 5 years, you have to have a bone density test before you can continue on it. 
The IUD's are different. Mirena has hormones, ParaGard does not. Both can cause irregular bleeding. When I had my Mirena, my periods stopped. I had no issues with it. Some women don't like it because they can feel the strings. If that's the case, then it isn't inserted correctly. The ParaGard is made from copper, which creates a hostile environment in the uterus, thus preventing pregnancy. The ParaGard is good for I think 10-12 years. Mirena - 5.
As with any medication, there can be side effects with any option. A lot of women like the ease of the Depo, only having to go every 12-14 weeks to get a shot. Some women don't gain weight at all while they're on it, but the majority of women we had in our family planning clinic did gain weight on it. For some, it was 5 lbs or so. Others it was more.  

sfmomto3
by Member on Feb. 5, 2014 at 8:37 PM
I was on the Depo shot for almost 6 years. I loved it. I actually lost weight after the 2nd shot. I didn't have a period after tne 3rd shot. When I stopped taking it I was pregnant within 3 months (about the time I was due for the next shot). I have been pregnant 3 times since stopping the depo and didn't have any problems getting pregnant.
humblemomma
by on Feb. 5, 2014 at 8:42 PM
None. That crap is so bad for you
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)