Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

New Mom

Posted by on Feb. 5, 2014 at 8:21 PM
  • 8 Replies
Hi all I'm a new mom to a 3wk old, I have my mom with me to help with her but why do I feel so helpless, there are times I just look at her and cry for hours, my husband is a new dad does not help in anyway, and I'm worried about what will happen when my mom leaves and I have to do it all by myself, I guess my question is, is it normal to be feeling this way? Any words of wisdom will help thanks for listening everyone.
by on Feb. 5, 2014 at 8:21 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
jbarker9
by on Feb. 5, 2014 at 8:26 PM

Yes. Your hormones are going crazy going back to how they were before you were pregnant. If the "blues" feeling doesn't ease up after 6weeks, talk to your OB because you may be dealing with post partum depression.

When I had DD, I had mom, SO, his mom and other family in and out of our house for the first 3 weeks, and then no one but me and baby. I was a mess. So tired from no sleep, hormones were crazy... you just have to breathe and take it one day at a time, and know that you are doing your very best and not everything will get done.

Most importantly, if you ever feel angry instead of just sad, especially while baby won't stop crying, put her in her crib and walk away for 5 minutes... the break won't hurt either of you.

You need to get your husband on the same page. He helped make her, he needs to help. You cannot and should not be expected to do it all - because you can't hun.

Good luck mama.

natural_s
by on Feb. 5, 2014 at 8:28 PM

I agree with this advice given.

Congratulations on the new edition to your family. I hope things get better for you.

Quoting jbarker9:

Yes. Your hormones are going crazy going back to how they were before you were pregnant. If the "blues" feeling doesn't ease up after 6weeks, talk to your OB because you may be dealing with post partum depression.

When I had DD, I had mom, SO, his mom and other family in and out of our house for the first 3 weeks, and then no one but me and baby. I was a mess. So tired from no sleep, hormones were crazy... you just have to breathe and take it one day at a time, and know that you are doing your very best and not everything will get done.

Most importantly, if you ever feel angry instead of just sad, especially while baby won't stop crying, put her in her crib and walk away for 5 minutes... the break won't hurt either of you.

You need to get your husband on the same page. He helped make her, he needs to help. You cannot and should not be expected to do it all - because you can't hun.

Good luck mama.

emmy526
by Gold Member on Feb. 5, 2014 at 8:33 PM

yes i cried for a week straight after the second or third week at home with my 3rd..it was horrible and it pretty much stopped as fast as it started....

anotherandree
by Inga on Feb. 5, 2014 at 8:38 PM

Especially with my first, he was the first real contact I had with a baby.  I know that everyone says that there is "an instant bond" but, for me, I was like, "Um, yea, this is a baby."  It wasn't for awhile that we caught our groove and I got used to being a mom and THEN the maternal emotion kicked in.  It's SCARY as hell when the doctor hands you a baby and says, "Here you go!  Good luck with that!"  LOL!  If, however, you don't feel like you are catching a groove soon, and still crying about being a mom, it might be time to consult a doctor.  Post-partum depression is common and nothing to be ashamed of!  However, give yourself a break and make "friends" with your baby.

Libraluv05
by on Feb. 5, 2014 at 8:53 PM
Thanks guys I really needed to let it out and I'm happy I searched this site on internet because before I was pregnant I was this strong woman now I feel so weak.
atlmom2
by Ruby Member on Feb. 5, 2014 at 9:04 PM
He needs to help. Why isn't he?? Many cry. I didn't. Dh had to help. We do not live around family. He would have helped anyway. Hand the baby to him.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mamalynnsmith
by on Feb. 5, 2014 at 9:09 PM

I felt that way with my oldest son , with time it will become second nature and all will work out and by the way we all fill that way . I fell that way now because my oldest just turned 18,so at each stage of them growing up is new. Just relaxe and enjoy your new baby

Libraluv05
by on Feb. 5, 2014 at 9:53 PM
Dh doesn't know how to handle a baby he never did before and he seems not willing to learn, at night I wake up with her and he just sleeps, he is proud to show her to the world, but can't change her and when she cries he hands her over right away. He has no CLUE!!
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)