Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Reading Homework Advice.....

Posted by on Feb. 5, 2014 at 9:41 PM
  • 5 Replies
Ok.... So I feel REALLY dumb. My 2nd grader came home with reading comprehensive homework. She was to read a fable (which I have never heard of) and explain what the lesson of the story was and use details in the story. I helped her the best way I could. DH said it was wrong but had her add some other details. Seemed right to me but when i read something i see it a whole different way then it actually is. How do you help your kids when you don't understand their homework?
by on Feb. 5, 2014 at 9:41 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
-PB
by Gold Member on Feb. 5, 2014 at 10:32 PM

You should Google Aesop's fables.  You'll find tons of great stories.  If not for her homework but to read as bedtime stories.  As classic as Mother Goose.  I had a old book growing up that was probably from the 60's of Aesop's fables.  Fables are just stories with a sort of "life message" like the Tortoise and the Hare.  My dd is only 4 so I haven't run into that problem but I am a college student.  Google is my second best friend right next to the online university library.  :-)

tyfry7496
by on Feb. 6, 2014 at 12:05 AM

I don't. I find someone that can. If I don't understand the homework, what good am I trying to explain it to my child? I have even written the teacher a note explaining that I was unable to help with homework.

MixedCooke
by Silver Member on Feb. 6, 2014 at 3:03 AM

Google baby!  I dread the day that I have to re-learn some long forgotten math, chemistry and physics but I have a long while for that!

MixedCooke
by Silver Member on Feb. 6, 2014 at 3:04 AM

You really never heard of a fable before??  Aesop's fables are great!

Quinn525
by on Feb. 6, 2014 at 5:17 AM
I check the internet, though dh and i are pretty good at covering most of the bases. I have art, history, english, while dh has science, math. Between the 2 of us, we have a pretty good understanding of most homework.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)