Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Two Decades of the Winter Olympics: Todd Lodwick, Flag-bearer

Posted by on Feb. 6, 2014 at 10:12 PM
  • 77 Replies
Todd Lodwick
Nathan Bilow/USA TODAY Sports

SOCHI, Russia -- Twenty years ago at the opening ceremony of the Lillehammer Games, 17-year-old Todd Lodwick walked in with the U.S. team and then watched in wonder as his mother stormed down the stadium steps through crowds of white-clad spectators, determined to get as close as she could. The young Nordic combined phenom detoured out of the procession to hug her. 

He'll have to stay in step Friday. Lodwick, the first six-time Winter Olympian from the United States, was selected by his fellow athletes as flag-bearer. 

The honor caps a few weeks of wildly oscillating emotions for Lodwick, who won the U.S. Olympic trials in late December only to crash on a ski jump landing less than two weeks later, dislocating his left shoulder and seemingly jeopardizing his chance to make history. 

Todd Lodwick is still on the mend, but it won't affect his responsibilities during Friday's opening ceremony.
But Lodwick, now 37 and a father of two, rehabbed furiously, pushing through up to three sessions of physical therapy daily and doing lower-body cardio training with his left arm in a sling. He’ll walk Friday still healing from non-displaced fractures in his shoulder and one rib, a torn labrum and soft tissue injuries, but said "no way" would that keep him from his appointed task. 

"I'm 90 percent, and it's not going to be an issue," said Lodwick, a Steamboat Springs native who sported a state of Colorado cap as he spoke to reporters. 

"To represent the 230 athletes who get to walk behind me is humbling," said Lodwick, who added that he was proud to follow in the literal footsteps of previous flag-bearers Scott Hamilton (figure skating) and Bill Koch (Nordic skiing). 

Taken from the ESPN Olympics Blog.

What was your life like twenty years ago, when Todd Lodwick first competed in the Winter Olympics? Do you remember watching any of the Lillehammer Olympics (think Nancy Kerrigan)?
by on Feb. 6, 2014 at 10:12 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
copperswifey
by on Feb. 7, 2014 at 9:03 AM

I don't remember what I was doing 20 years ago. I didn't watch any of the Lillehammer Olympics. :)

kmqw229
by Bronze Member on Feb. 7, 2014 at 9:08 AM
20 years ago, I was 9 & don't remember if I watched the Olympics or not.

I'm excited to watch him!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
momofsixangels
by Colleen on Feb. 7, 2014 at 9:13 AM

I was a single Mom to one 20 years ago.Dont think I ever really watched the olympics then

SweetLuci
by Silver Member on Feb. 7, 2014 at 10:10 AM
1 mom liked this

Yes, I watched. I remember the horrible incident with Nancy Kerrigan. She was the epitome of the Olympics spirit.

goddess99
by on Feb. 7, 2014 at 10:43 AM

I do remember that (Nancy).

othermom
by Silver Member on Feb. 7, 2014 at 10:52 AM

I was 10 and didn't watch the olympics

countrygirlkat
by Kathleen on Feb. 7, 2014 at 10:56 AM

I was 12 at the time and do remember the Nancy Kerrigan era.  I am glad he will be able to carry the flag!

arpazia
by Member on Feb. 7, 2014 at 11:13 AM
20 years ago I was 7, I can recall the nancy fiasco
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Wish2Be
by Member on Feb. 7, 2014 at 11:20 AM

I loved figure skating since forever ! Its just beautiful to watch.

Twenty years ago I was almost 12 and I was always riding my bike and finding nature trails....life was good :)

MamaMandee
by Silver Member on Feb. 7, 2014 at 12:01 PM

20 years ago I was 18, so a lot has changed in my life. What a awesome honor to carry the flag!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured