Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

How do you punish your children?

Posted by on Feb. 7, 2014 at 8:15 PM
  • 46 Replies
How do you punish your children? Or better yet your step children. I find it hard to punish my step daughter when I'm home alone with her and she's bad. Before I've tried to put her in time out and she just gets up. I'm not allowed to spank her. What are your views on spanking your children? I was spanked when I was little and I turned out fine. There's a limit on that I believe. But what do I do when she doesn't listen to me and is being really bad? Time out don't work... Help me please!
by on Feb. 7, 2014 at 8:15 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
alexsmomaubrys2
by Silver Member on Feb. 7, 2014 at 8:16 PM
2 moms liked this

We ground them, we don't spank. 

How old is she?

polkaspots
by Bronze Member on Feb. 7, 2014 at 8:21 PM
2 moms liked this
Time outs and we take things away, clean up messes and apologize for what we did wrong.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
18stepmommy
by New Member on Feb. 7, 2014 at 8:22 PM
She is 6. And I tried that. I told her she wouldn't be doing anything all weekend. It was a Friday after school and my fiancé bowls on Friday nights and she goes to her aunts so I couldn't ground her for the night. So I said the weekend. My fiancé told me I can't ground her for the whole weekend because she is only six... But I got screamed at toys thrown kicked and when I put her in time out she got up and ran away..
18stepmommy
by New Member on Feb. 7, 2014 at 8:23 PM
She's spoiled she has so many things its hard to take something away because she'll have something else.
alexsmomaubrys2
by Silver Member on Feb. 7, 2014 at 8:23 PM
5 moms liked this

Time outs don't work because you don't sound like you are consistent with them. You have to keep putting her back until she stays for the time you dictated, even if the whole ordeal takes an hour. 

What is she doing wrong? I believe that the punishment should fit the crime, so to say. 

How old is she?

alexsmomaubrys2
by Silver Member on Feb. 7, 2014 at 8:25 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting 18stepmommy: She is 6. And I tried that. I told her she wouldn't be doing anything all weekend. It was a Friday after school and my fiancé bowls on Friday nights and she goes to her aunts so I couldn't ground her for the night. So I said the weekend. My fiancé told me I can't ground her for the whole weekend because she is only six... But I got screamed at toys thrown kicked and when I put her in time out she got up and ran away..

You and your fiance (when are you getting married) need to sit down and agree on the rules and the punishments when she breaks those rules. Then you sit down with her and make sure she understands the rules/punishments and then follow through and be consistent. 

He is right, you can't ground a 6 year old for the whole weekend, they won't remember why they are in trouble. 

”Nonsense wakes up the brain cells. And it helps develop a sense of humor, which is awfully important in this day and age.” - Dr. Seuss. 

18stepmommy
by New Member on Feb. 7, 2014 at 8:28 PM
The story of the time out is... She was playing out side and her dad said she had to come inside while he went to the bank to cash his check and she threw a fit and tried taking the phones to call her papa and she was opening windows yelling out them. She kicked me a few times. I had to pick her up and carry her down the stairs for a time out. And if I remember correctly she threw toys at me and said she didn't have to listen to me... When my fiancé came home he punished her and said she will listen to me.
AM-BRAT
by Amber on Feb. 7, 2014 at 8:31 PM
2 moms liked this
If you don't have kids together I would reevaluate the relationship.

I'm sure someone has some super advice but mine is generally not to do the sm thing lol. Such a battle! One I'm personally not interested in anyway.
18stepmommy
by New Member on Feb. 7, 2014 at 8:35 PM
I already told him our children aren't going to be spoiled like his and they will mind the both of us and they will be strictly punished because my kids ain't making the same mistakes me and my fiancé have made growing up. I'm not even pregnant yet and I can say I love them too much for them to go through what I did.
momofcourse
by Member on Feb. 7, 2014 at 8:36 PM
1 mom liked this

you don't let her get up.  every time she gets up her time starts over.  If it takes all day and screaming and whatever, so be it.  You need to be firm and show her you mean business or she will run all over you. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured