Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advice for Moms Advice for Moms

how would you describe what contractions feel like?

Posted by on Feb. 7, 2014 at 10:12 PM
  • 108 Replies
Im a first time mom expecting in about 4 weeks. Just curious how you'd describe what contractions feel like?
Also did you have an epidural, were you happy with your decision?
by on Feb. 7, 2014 at 10:12 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Lunarprancer
by Member on Feb. 7, 2014 at 10:16 PM
1 mom liked this

I'm glad I had the epidural, for me, because I was considering jumping out of the hospital window.  Don't get me wrong, the epi was scary and hurt too.  If you are young and strong and can do it without, I say go natural.  My contractions were like my worst period times 100.

katie314
by Member on Feb. 7, 2014 at 10:20 PM
Thanks! Im planning on trying my hardest to not get an epidural but i dont think I can totally know until im there. Thats what I've read online/in books its just more reassuring hearing it from a person than a what to expect book.

Quoting Lunarprancer:

I'm glad I had the epidural, for me, because I was considering jumping out of the hospital window.  Don't get me wrong, the epi was scary and hurt too.  If you are young and strong and can do it without, I say go natural.  My contractions were like my worst period times 100.

atlmom2
by Ruby Member on Feb. 7, 2014 at 10:21 PM
Worst pain beyond belief. No one could ever explain how bad. Couldn't wait fo epidural.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Lunarprancer
by Member on Feb. 7, 2014 at 10:24 PM

You are welcome mama, congrats =0)

Quoting katie314: Thanks! Im planning on trying my hardest to not get an epidural but i dont think I can totally know until im there. Thats what I've read online/in books its just more reassuring hearing it from a person than a what to expect book.

Quoting Lunarprancer:

polkaspots
by Bronze Member on Feb. 7, 2014 at 10:25 PM
1 mom liked this
Fucking painful. I think I said ow a billion times with each kid. I had a failed epidural with my first, no pain meds with my second and a very well functioning epidural with my third. The first epidural did absolutely nothing for me, nothing changed. With my third I was about seven cm dilated when I got the epidural and I had been having very painful contractions for hours. The pain simply stopped within moments of the epidural getting started. I didn't have pain again until I started pushing after being fully dilated for at least a half hour. I started pushing after my amniotic sac started sticking out. Apparently my kids hair was visible through the fluid like he was in a thick water balloon.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
xtwistedxlovex
by Member on Feb. 7, 2014 at 10:25 PM
For me it was like my uterus was being ripped to shreds. I'm pretty sure I was atypical though, since I skipped early labor and DS was facing the wrong way.

I did not get an epi and am glad. I did get stadol and wish I hadn't. It didn't relieve the pain at all; all it did was leave me very confused and forgetful.
The_Doodle
by Bronze Member on Feb. 7, 2014 at 10:28 PM

I only had like one contraction (emergency csection due to health issues) but the way I would describe it is you feel your uterus tighten up a LOT. Your stomach gets hard similar to how it feels when you have a BH contraction. It stays hard and a wave of pain starts at your pelvis and travels up to the top of your uterus, which at the time of delivery is almost up to your boobs. The one contraction I had was very painful, then the nurse looked at the equipment I was hooked up to and said, "Oh, that was a good one but not that strong." It FELT strong haha.

katie314
by Member on Feb. 7, 2014 at 10:28 PM
That sounds horrific. But thank you for your brutal honesty! Was he facing the wrong way as in he was breach or like he was facing your spine?

Quoting xtwistedxlovex: For me it was like my uterus was being ripped to shreds. I'm pretty sure I was atypical though, since I skipped early labor and DS was facing the wrong way.

I did not get an epi and am glad. I did get stadol and wish I hadn't. It didn't relieve the pain at all; all it did was leave me very confused and forgetful.
katie314
by Member on Feb. 7, 2014 at 10:31 PM
With the epidural that worked, did you feel numb or couldb you feel what you were doing? Thats what worries me the most with an epidural, that i'll be numb and not know what im doing well enough to push and have to end up having a c section.

Quoting polkaspots: Fucking painful. I think I said ow a billion times with each kid. I had a failed epidural with my first, no pain meds with my second and a very well functioning epidural with my third. The first epidural did absolutely nothing for me, nothing changed. With my third I was about seven cm dilated when I got the epidural and I had been having very painful contractions for hours. The pain simply stopped within moments of the epidural getting started. I didn't have pain again until I started pushing after being fully dilated for at least a half hour. I started pushing after my amniotic sac started sticking out. Apparently my kids hair was visible through the fluid like he was in a thick water balloon.
polkaspots
by Bronze Member on Feb. 7, 2014 at 10:37 PM
I was never numb, I just stopped feeling the contractions. This is tmi, but about three hours after I got the epidural I had to pee so I squatted on the bed and peed into a bed pan by myself. The nurse had told me to have my husband help me, but I can pee if someone is looking at me. So I got on my toes and peed. I had been been checked and I was at ten centimeters and a half hour later I was relaxing in the bed and I felt something down there and asked DH to look. He freaked out and ran to get the nurse because my amniotic sac was sticking out. My water hadn't broken yet. It broke after I started pushing. I felt the pain of pushing, and it was just as painful as the first two.
The hard part about pushing is you have to do it and you know it's going to hurt, but you have to keep doing it.

Quoting katie314: With the epidural that worked, did you feel numb or couldb you feel what you were doing? Thats what worries me the most with an epidural, that i'll be numb and not know what im doing well enough to push and have to end up having a c section.

Quoting polkaspots: Fucking painful. I think I said ow a billion times with each kid. I had a failed epidural with my first, no pain meds with my second and a very well functioning epidural with my third. The first epidural did absolutely nothing for me, nothing changed. With my third I was about seven cm dilated when I got the epidural and I had been having very painful contractions for hours. The pain simply stopped within moments of the epidural getting started. I didn't have pain again until I started pushing after being fully dilated for at least a half hour. I started pushing after my amniotic sac started sticking out. Apparently my kids hair was visible through the fluid like he was in a thick water balloon.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)