Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advice for Moms Advice for Moms

Are You Watching the Sochi Olympics With Your Kids?

Posted by on Feb. 10, 2014 at 9:00 AM
  • 59 Replies

Think your kids won't be interested in the Olympics?

Think again --They might surprise you.

I have many fond memories of watching the Olympics with my stepdaughters (who are now in college) as they were growing up. The Games have long been a Ferrier family tradition, and now that our little ones are six and nine years old, we're hoping the Sochi Olympics grab their attention, too.

I started things off by watching P&G's Raising an Olympian on NBC last week with my entire family. If you missed the show, don't worry- You can see all of the Olympians' stories on P&G's YouTube site.  My children loved watching how athletes like Lindsey Vonn, Meryl Davis and Charlie White, and Ted Ligety got their starts -- and I loved that my kids got to see how hard these athletes worked to get where they are today, as well as how that hard work is paying off.

Fast forward to the Games themselves- We've been watching at least a portion of the Olympics every night, and the kids are glued to the screen. My nine year old in particular is fixated on the high emotional drama that each Olympics event offers. She has watched the thrill of victory as figure skaters have completed near-perfect programs... and she's seen the agony of defeat as snowboarders have come crashing to the ground after botching a jump.

Basically, she's hooked, and I couldn't be happier.

My six year old, on the other hand, loves what I call his 'he-time' the most. For him, the Olympics mean popcorn in the den (something that's usually forbidden), a fire in the fireplace, snuggling with Mommy and Daddy, and loudly chanting USA! USA! USA! every time an American athlete comes on the screen until my daughter shushes all of us. He's got a lot of questions (often TOO many questions) about what's happening on the TV screen, so I know he's processing the Games in his own way.

I'm so glad we're using the Sochi Olympics as an opportunity for family time, and if you haven't been watching the Olympics yet with your kids, it's not too late to start! Show your children the P&G videos of the athletes before they watch them compete, and I'm betting they'll become just as interested in the competitions as my children have been.

Are you watching the Sochi Olympics with your children? What do you hope they'll gain from watching the Games?

Image © iStockphoto.com/MonkeyBusinessImages

by on Feb. 10, 2014 at 9:00 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
momofsixangels
by on Feb. 12, 2014 at 8:06 AM

Yes I am. In fact my 11 year old dd is more addicted then I am.She loves watching them

TerriC
by on Feb. 12, 2014 at 2:33 PM

We have watched some here and there.  They seem to be pretty interested in the ski jumping.  They have so much make up homework and other work because of all the snow days so we haven't had as much time as I had hoped to watch them.

la_bella_vita
by Gold Member on Feb. 12, 2014 at 9:13 PM

Yes, my oldest 2 especially have been getting interested in them.

lalasmama2007
by on Feb. 12, 2014 at 9:31 PM

Yes, my dd has been watching with me.

goddess99
by on Feb. 12, 2014 at 9:56 PM

No, we're not watching any of it.

MamaMandee
by on Feb. 12, 2014 at 9:58 PM
Yup! I have even been letting the younger two stay up an extra hour each night just to watch some.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
RitaTequila531
by on Feb. 12, 2014 at 10:02 PM
She had it as part of a homework assignment one night. Other than that, we have zero interest in it
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Bob192
by Member on Feb. 12, 2014 at 11:32 PM

Fun family time!!  I bet they are enjoying the special time.

Quoting MamaMandee: Yup! I have even been letting the younger two stay up an extra hour each night just to watch some.

graycalico
by on Feb. 12, 2014 at 11:37 PM
We've caught some. I'm going to watch some through on demand since it's on late. My dd likes watching the skating a lot
MamaMandee
by on Feb. 13, 2014 at 12:14 AM
1 mom liked this
They totally are and I'm enjoying it too!

Quoting Bob192:

Fun family time!!  I bet they are enjoying the special time.

Quoting MamaMandee: Yup! I have even been letting the younger two stay up an extra hour each night just to watch some.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)