Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Greg Westlake, Canada Hockey Paralympics Captain, and Deborah, his mom.

Posted by on Feb. 14, 2014 at 8:54 AM
  • 60 Replies

Greg Westlake

Canada Hockey Paralympics Captain

Deborah Westlake, his mom

Deborah sees her role as helping Greg accept the reality of the situation but not be limited by it. He was born with congenital abnormalities and had double leg amputation.

Greg said that his mom gave him the freedom to pick and choose what he wanted to do- whether he failed or succeeded. At least he had the opportunity to try.

Deborah said that he tried every able-bodied sport they could think of, and for most he played successfully and had fun. However she wanted to help him find a sport where he could win a championship. He said that in hockey he has found the sport where he is the athlete he'd always envisioned himself being.

Greg is grateful to his mom. She has been part of his journey and let him go after what he wanted.  Deborah says her philosophy is that no challenge is too great.

What are your child's talents? 

by on Feb. 14, 2014 at 8:54 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
othermom
by Gold Member on Feb. 14, 2014 at 9:46 AM
1 mom liked this

Thanks for sharing. Amazin story

Bmat
by Barb on Feb. 14, 2014 at 9:48 AM

You're welcome.  I am glad they have the paralympics.

Quoting othermom:

Thanks for sharing. Amazin story

chattycassie
by Member on Feb. 14, 2014 at 9:56 AM
1 mom liked this

What a great story. My children LOVE to write and make things like cards ect. They have dabbled in sports and now after watching the Olympics all want to be an Olympian. Same thing happened with summer games. We are going Ice skating this weekend. :)

Bmat
by Barb on Feb. 14, 2014 at 9:59 AM

It sounds as though they are both creative and athletic. :)   Have a wonderful time this weekend!

Quoting chattycassie:

What a great story. My children LOVE to write and make things like cards ect. They have dabbled in sports and now after watching the Olympics all want to be an Olympian. Same thing happened with summer games. We are going Ice skating this weekend. :)

chattycassie
by Member on Feb. 14, 2014 at 10:01 AM
1 mom liked this

Thank you I am sure we will. It will be nice to get out of the heat too it is supposed to be about 90 here on Sat.

Quoting Bmat:

It sounds as though they are both creative and athletic. :)   Have a wonderful time this weekend!

Quoting chattycassie:

arpazia
by Member on Feb. 14, 2014 at 10:14 AM
1 mom liked this
Heck yeah man!
I have no words other than...yeah!!!

Is living on little sleep a talent? That's his
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
SweetLuci
by Platinum Member on Feb. 14, 2014 at 10:19 AM
1 mom liked this

He is an inspiration...and so is his mother!

lalasmama2007
by on Feb. 14, 2014 at 10:29 AM
1 mom liked this

Thanks for sharing!

momofsixangels
by Gold Member on Feb. 14, 2014 at 10:33 AM
1 mom liked this

TFS, Great to hear about these stories

Madelaine
by Bronze Member on Feb. 14, 2014 at 11:46 AM
1 mom liked this

TFS

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)