Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

How long is too long to stay engaged?

Posted by on Feb. 14, 2014 at 1:52 PM
  • 22 Replies
We've been together for almost 7 years. Engaged for one year. We don't have the money for a big wedding and honestly, I don't have much people I could invite. I don't have much family that I speak to unfortunately.

How long is too long to stay engaged in your opinion?
by on Feb. 14, 2014 at 1:52 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
momofsixangels
by Gold Member on Feb. 14, 2014 at 1:58 PM

I say it depends on when you feel your ready. I dont see any time limit set

beadingmom17
by Silver Member on Feb. 14, 2014 at 4:37 PM
I don't think there's any time limit. I mean, I think if it's going on 5 years +, there might be some commitment issues, but other than that, it's not like there's an expiration date.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ria719
by on Feb. 14, 2014 at 4:45 PM

Quoting momofsixangels:

Lindalou907
by Silver Member on Feb. 14, 2014 at 4:49 PM
1 mom liked this

If you're ready to get married, go get married! You can just invite family to the courthouse and then take them for a picnic lunch or a potluck at your place. One of the best weddings I went to was at a park, super simple and very fun.

Lindalou907
by Silver Member on Feb. 14, 2014 at 4:52 PM

Sorry, I see you don't have a lot of family that you're close to, but maybe you'd like to reconcile? A wedding could be an opportunity. One thing I know is, they will hold it against you if they're not invited.

MommyofRnW
by on Feb. 14, 2014 at 4:53 PM
Lol I've been engaged for 8 yrs. No major issues just don't see spending a lot of money for a piece of paper
Firenygirl180
by Member on Feb. 14, 2014 at 4:56 PM
We've been engaged almost 3. I don't want to get married for the simple fact that i don't want a wedding. I'm hoping we go to the court house this summer and just have a reception next year for our first anniversary. Neither of us is religious so the only reason we have for getting married is to throw a party.
virginiamama71
by Gold Member on Feb. 14, 2014 at 4:56 PM

For me more than a year is too long.

People can marry and have a celebration at another date.

offrdngal
by Terri on Feb. 14, 2014 at 4:56 PM
Everyone is different. I, personally, am not one for long engagements. I don't understand the reasoning behind it. To me, anything longer than 2 years is ridiculous. I know it can take a while to save up for a wedding, but more than 2 years seems extreme. Long engagements,to me, seem like it was just the next step, to tell people "we're getting"...regardless of whether or not it actually happens.

Mishy2
by on Feb. 14, 2014 at 5:13 PM

this :)

Quoting momofsixangels:

**** Join us at ~*~ MOMMY CHATS ~*~ - a fun place for moms, moms to be, and TTC women to meet other moms, give advice, share stories, make new friends and just chat. Join us today!                
http://www.cafemom.com/group/119876

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)