Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

My son won't stay in his room

Posted by on Feb. 14, 2014 at 5:14 PM
  • 11 Replies

My ds is 4 and he gets up in the middle of the night and destroys the house. He gets into everything, cabinets, food, pretty much anything and everything.

We're remodeling the house and none of the bedrooms have doors on them right now which I think is part of the problem but honestly if he had a door he could open it so I don't know. 

He's tall for his age plus he's 4 almost 5 so a baby wouldn't really stop him since this child can get things off shelves I can't reach. The only way he's not up all night is if he sleeps in our bed but that's not a habit I want to build either. 

So any tips, tricks, or ideas on how to get him to stay put? I don't care of he plays in his room he just has to stay put..

by on Feb. 14, 2014 at 5:14 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Zazayam
by Bronze Member on Feb. 14, 2014 at 5:17 PM

Can he get over a baby gate?

stacyemmy
by on Feb. 14, 2014 at 5:19 PM
1 mom liked this

Oh yeah. He's been scaling those since he was 2.

Quoting Zazayam:

Can he get over a baby gate?

norahsmommy
by Silver Member on Feb. 14, 2014 at 5:19 PM
2 baby pressure gates. One above the other.
Mommy2justone
by on Feb. 14, 2014 at 5:19 PM

2 baby gates on top of each other.

Mommy2justone
by on Feb. 14, 2014 at 5:20 PM

If 2 on top of each other doesn't work. Try 3. Or get a door for his room and put a child safety knob cover on the inside door knob.

Zazayam
by Bronze Member on Feb. 14, 2014 at 5:22 PM

This was going to be my next idea, lol.

Quoting norahsmommy: 2 baby pressure gates. One above the other.

stacyemmy
by on Feb. 14, 2014 at 5:27 PM

I am definitely going to try 2 or 3 baby gates on top of each other. He can figure out the safety knob covers because I have used those on the front door since he could reach them

emmy526
by Gold Member on Feb. 14, 2014 at 5:40 PM

At his age he oughta know better than to act like a 2yr old...are there no consequences for his behavior?  He certainly is old enough to know to stay in his room and not destroy the house.  Is there something else going on with him too?

stacyemmy
by on Feb. 14, 2014 at 5:59 PM

We've just moved here within the last 3 months. He had to get another bed because his bed broke in the move. I am not sure. He didn't do this before we moved. He didn't have a room when we first moved so I thought that was why he was getting into everything at first. Also there are punishments for bad behaviors, rewards for good ones but nothing seems to work.

Quoting emmy526:

At his age he oughta know better than to act like a 2yr old...are there no consequences for his behavior?  He certainly is old enough to know to stay in his room and not destroy the house.  Is there something else going on with him too?

emmy526
by Gold Member on Feb. 14, 2014 at 6:01 PM

so what does he say when you ask why he gets out of bed and destroys the house? and what's the punishment for doing this?

Quoting stacyemmy:

We've just moved here within the last 3 months. He had to get another bed because his bed broke in the move. I am not sure. He didn't do this before we moved. He didn't have a room when we first moved so I thought that was why he was getting into everything at first. Also there are punishments for bad behaviors, rewards for good ones but nothing seems to work.

Quoting emmy526:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)