Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Trouble at school

Posted by on Feb. 14, 2014 at 10:42 PM
  • 19 Replies

We moved to our town this past summer.  My oldest son is 8 and in the 2nd grade.  He misses his old friends but likes the school and is doing well academically.  He is bieng picked on by two boys though and I am not sure what to do.  Here sports are everything and they start playing football in Kindergarten and same with basketball on outside leagues.  Where we came from people were very fit and did tons of outdoor activities but sports were more for fun and they started older.  He wanted to try the football and the basketball so we said sure.  It is most of the kids' third year in the sport though and his first so he is learning a lot.  During PE in school those kids are making fun of him and saying he is terrible at basketball.  Then at lunch time they make fun of him.  He takes after my DH in that he likes to mix his food.  I am one of those people who eats each part of a meal seperately and eats one item at a time,  DH figures he likes all of the items and mixes them all together in a lot of meals.  My son mixes his food a lot too.  They tell him he is disgusting and that if he keeps mixing his food they will refuse to let him near them.  We have tried to tell him that they are mean and to try to ignore them and to just be himself but I am beginning to worry.  Do I go to the teacher, go to the parents, or just let it go and see how it plays out?  He doesn't complain about it much and he is really good natured but sometimes he will mention it in passing and then run off to play.  I just don't want it to get him down and I don't want it to continue but I also don't want to make it worse. 

by on Feb. 14, 2014 at 10:42 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
143myboys9496
by Bronze Member on Feb. 14, 2014 at 10:52 PM
1 mom liked this

I'd go to the teacher.

leanntx
by on Feb. 14, 2014 at 10:56 PM
1 mom liked this
Talk to the teacher about it. Then let the teacher or principal take it up with the parents.
Paigesmommy78
by Silver Member on Feb. 14, 2014 at 11:01 PM
I'd talk to him about and see how it makes him and what he wants to do about it and then go to the teacher but if he doesn't really complain or talk about it munch maybe he doesn't really let it brother him or maybe it really does get to him see what he has to say about it first and go from there
Lindalou907
by Silver Member on Feb. 14, 2014 at 11:07 PM

It sounds to me like you have raised a confident and resilient boy, good job! I wouldn't do anything, all his life he will have to deal with idiots, might as well start now. I do think if he could break the mixing his food habit that would be best, it is not considered good table manners.

countrygirlkat
by Kathleen on Feb. 14, 2014 at 11:18 PM
1 mom liked this

That is a good idea to feel him out more and see what he thinks.  Thanks!

Quoting Paigesmommy78: I'd talk to him about and see how it makes him and what he wants to do about it and then go to the teacher but if he doesn't really complain or talk about it munch maybe he doesn't really let it brother him or maybe it really does get to him see what he has to say about it first and go from there

countrygirlkat
by Kathleen on Feb. 14, 2014 at 11:24 PM

It is very true that there will be idiots all along, lol.  As for breaking him of mixing his food I will not do that.  If he was making a mess, eating with his hands, slurping, etc I would have an issue.  For a person to choose to eat one kind of food in a bite or two kinds of food in a bite, in my opinion, should have nothing to do with manners.  The main purpose of food obviously is to nourish our bodies, but a second reward is that it is something for us to enjoy while eating healthy, so I will not tell him he can not enjoy eating his food if that makes sense.  Maybe that is bad manners, I don't know, but to me my kids eat healthy, they say please, thank you, all of that, they care for others and their feelings, they eat in a clean and well behaved manner, that is what matters, not how many foods are in a bite, lol.  People may call me uncultered or ill-mannered but oh well. 

Quoting Lindalou907:

It sounds to me like you have raised a confident and resilient boy, good job! I wouldn't do anything, all his life he will have to deal with idiots, might as well start now. I do think if he could break the mixing his food habit that would be best, it is not considered good table manners.

MamaMandee
by on Feb. 15, 2014 at 12:06 AM
This was going to be pretty much my advice too. Good luck! (PS I so get the whole sports thing, that is what we faced when we moved here too & sports are not really Jakob's thing.)

Quoting countrygirlkat:

That is a good idea to feel him out more and see what he thinks.  Thanks!

Quoting Paigesmommy78: I'd talk to him about and see how it makes him and what he wants to do about it and then go to the teacher but if he doesn't really complain or talk about it munch maybe he doesn't really let it brother him or maybe it really does get to him see what he has to say about it first and go from there

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
AM-BRAT
by Amber on Feb. 15, 2014 at 3:55 AM
I would keep encouraging your boy to be confident and such, and ask the teacher for sure since they know everyone already.

Also, only second grade- go to the class volunteer. Meet him for lunch, be seen. It shouldn't be embarrassing at this age. It's not for mine anyway. :)
Karmahappens
by Member on Feb. 15, 2014 at 6:57 AM
1 mom liked this

Quoting countrygirlkat:

It is very true that there will be idiots all along, lol.  As for breaking him of mixing his food I will not do that.  If he was making a mess, eating with his hands, slurping, etc I would have an issue.  For a person to choose to eat one kind of food in a bite or two kinds of food in a bite, in my opinion, should have nothing to do with manners.  The main purpose of food obviously is to nourish our bodies, but a second reward is that it is something for us to enjoy while eating healthy, so I will not tell him he can not enjoy eating his food if that makes sense.  Maybe that is bad manners, I don't know, but to me my kids eat healthy, they say please, thank you, all of that, they care for others and their feelings, they eat in a clean and well behaved manner, that is what matters, not how many foods are in a bite, lol.  People may call me uncultered or ill-mannered but oh well. 

Quoting Lindalou907:

The polite socially acceptable way of mixing food (which he can use at school and in public) is to mix it on the fork-spear that piece of meat and scoop the mashed potatoes on it. Spear that greenbeen and dip it in the applesauce!

Karmahappens
by Member on Feb. 15, 2014 at 6:59 AM

Adding-if this is the same 2 kids-they are bullying him.  It is your choice what to do about it.

My son was being bulled (physically he was pushed into a tree)  I had witnesses and everything.  My school has a very strong anti-bullying policy. I choose to talk to the Mom of the boys and I talked to my son. And that ended it.  In fact one of the 3 boys involved became pretty  good friends with my son.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)