Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advice for Moms Advice for Moms

Strange skin issue? *Update*

Posted by on Feb. 22, 2014 at 9:32 AM
  • 22 Replies

Poll

Question: Urgent care or wait?

Options:

Go to urgent care today

Go to doctor on Monday

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 8

View Results

My 6 yr old son gets excema behind his ears every so often so this is why I didn't think anything of the issue until now.

Almost 3 weeks ago, I noticed some dry flaky skin on his left eyelid near the very inside corner. I didn't think of doing anything because it was so close to his eye. I decided to just make sure it didn't get worse.

After a week I noticed it spreading. I started putting a teeny tiny dab of his excema cream on it in the morning. He wasn't complaining about it at all. A few days later, no improvement so I increased how often I was putting the cream on.

After a week of doing the cream, it got worse. in one spot the skin split and was raw so I switched from the cream to triple anti biotic ointment. That healed the broken skin but the dry patch continued to spread.

His eyelid, over the last week, has become a patch of thick, dry, peeling skin. Two days ago, he developed a spot near the right corner of his mouth.

This morning, his eye is slightly swollen and the patch next to his mouth is the size of a dime. He says it doesn't hurt or itch or anything but it IS getting worse.

Doctor's office is closed for the weekend and I can't drive. His dad is in school M-Th 8am to 4 pm when the doctor is open.

Would you take the kid to urgent care this weekend or wait and ask his dad to take time off school to do it on Monday? This also means taking DS out of school for the day. Our local urgent care is part of the ER department at the hospital.

I don't know where my brain was in not taking him to the doctor sooner :(

Now that I am at a computer:

Mobile so can't edit original post. Took him to UC and they think it *may* be impetigo. Pharmacy is out of the cream he was prescribed and has no clue when they will get more.

UC was called and prescribed a hydrocortisone cream until the stuff he needs comes in.

We have to follow up with his regular doc on Friday.

by on Feb. 22, 2014 at 9:32 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
leanntx
by Member on Feb. 22, 2014 at 9:34 AM
Mainly because it's on/near his eye, I would take him to Urgent Care.
Mommy2justone
by Mommy2justtwo on Feb. 22, 2014 at 9:36 AM

If he isn't in any pain I would wait till monday. It sounds like it is spreading slowly. So it shouldn't be too much worse on monday. 
I don't like ER visits though, If my kid isn't dying I won't take them to the ER.
The last time we went to the ER we waited in the waiting room for almost 2 hours with a fever of 104 and vomiting. I kept thinking "Whatever my kid has, now everyone in this waiting room has it".  

PandTsmomjuly
by Silver Member on Feb. 22, 2014 at 9:40 AM

We would be passing through the ER to the urgent care waiting area. Our ER is pretty good. Longest I've waited was 20 mins or so on a busy day. I don't go to the ER unless it's something that's obviously as emergency (like the stitched my kids needed in her eyebrow that wouldn't stop bleeding -_- ).

Otherwise I prefer the UC center. The UC is part of the ER but not, did I explain that right?

Quoting Mommy2justone:

If he isn't in any pain I would wait till monday. It sounds like it is spreading slowly. So it shouldn't be too much worse on monday. 
I don't like ER visits though, If my kid isn't dying I won't take them to the ER.
The last time we went to the ER we waited in the waiting room for almost 2 hours with a fever of 104 and vomiting. I kept thinking "Whatever my kid has, now everyone in this waiting room has it".  

Bmat
by Barb on Feb. 22, 2014 at 9:46 AM

You did fine, don't worry about that.  I would take him to be seen today. They'll tell you what's going on. Please keep us updated.

PandTsmomjuly
by Silver Member on Feb. 22, 2014 at 9:52 AM

Will do.

I've never seen this or anything like it. I do feel bad that I didn't take him to get looked at sooner. The fact that he now has a similar patch next to his mouth worries me. That one is raw.

At first I thought it might be ringworm near his mouth but it doesn't look like it. It looks like raw skin. The placing lets me know it's not from him licking like he usually does. That would be a massive raw section spanning the entire underside of his bottom lip from chin to lip T_T

Quoting Bmat:

You did fine, don't worry about that.  I would take him to be seen today. They'll tell you what's going on. Please keep us updated.

Bmat
by Barb on Feb. 22, 2014 at 10:00 AM

aww.   Taking him today will get treatment started and also give you some peace of mind.

Quoting PandTsmomjuly:

Will do.

I've never seen this or anything like it. I do feel bad that I didn't take him to get looked at sooner. The fact that he now has a similar patch next to his mouth worries me. That one is raw.

At first I thought it might be ringworm near his mouth but it doesn't look like it. It looks like raw skin. The placing lets me know it's not from him licking like he usually does. That would be a massive raw section spanning the entire underside of his bottom lip from chin to lip T_T

Quoting Bmat:

PandTsmomjuly
by Silver Member on Feb. 22, 2014 at 11:07 AM

So his dad has said if it's bothering our boy, he's not taking time off school which means waiting FRIDAY to get this looked at.

Trying to get his butt moving so we can get him to UC today. -_-

Wish me luck.

-PB
by Gold Member on Feb. 22, 2014 at 11:57 AM

My dd (4 years old) gets eczema on her eye lids and behind her ears.  Unless his eye is swollen shut I would wait until Monday.  I would also use cortisone behind the ear.  Obviously you can't use that near the eyes or mouth.  What about trying a very small dap of coconut oil around the mouth?  Eyelids are tricky.  I know you said it doesn't itch but have you tried giving him Zyrtec?  My dd's ped always tells me to give her Zyrtec when her eczema is acting up. 

PandTsmomjuly
by Silver Member on Feb. 22, 2014 at 12:03 PM

That's the thing, at this point, I'm no longer sure it IS excema. He's never gotten it anywhere but his ears and those are fine. And it isn't acting like it nor does it look like it any more. 

It's possible it IS, but now I doubt it.

His younger sister gets it from her armpits down and this doesn't look like that even at her worst.

Quoting -PB:

My dd (4 years old) gets eczema on her eye lids and behind her ears.  Unless his eye is swollen shut I would wait until Monday.  I would also use cortisone behind the ear.  Obviously you can't use that near the eyes or mouth.  What about trying a very small dap of coconut oil around the mouth?  Eyelids are tricky.  I know you said it doesn't itch but have you tried giving him Zyrtec?  My dd's ped always tells me to give her Zyrtec when her eczema is acting up. 

PinkButterfly66
by Bronze Member on Feb. 22, 2014 at 2:51 PM

I would give him some claritin or benadryl (whatever you have on hand) to see if it is an allergic reaction.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)