Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advice for Moms Advice for Moms

The Power of a Positive Attitude

Posted by on Feb. 24, 2014 at 9:30 AM
  • 77 Replies

One thing that really stood out to me as I watched the Sochi Olympics with my family was the power of a positive attitude.

For example, my husband and I have really enjoyed watching the women's and men's slope style competitors, simply because all of them finished their runs with smiles on their faces, even when things went wrong. They were also quick to hug their competitors, even after losing to them.

Their attitudes made the historic Olympic medal sweep of American slope stylers Joss Christensen (gold), Gus Kenworthy (silver) and P&G athlete Nick Goepper (bronze) way more fun to watch. Check out the three Olympic heroes in the photo above, celebrating their victory at the P&G Family Home.

I also think of Noelle Pikus-Pace, who won silver in the skeleton finals-When she realized she had won, she climbed into the stands, hugged her husband, and told him, "We did it!"

Not "I did it!"

"WE did it!"

Now that's a great wife right there.

Witnessing these fantastic attitudes during the Olympic Games has made the few athletes who have snubbed the press and their competitors really stand out in a negative way.  I won't name names, but if you've been watching the Olympics, you can probably think of a few offhand.

The lesson in all this for my kids is that a positive attitude, even after disappointing results, makes a world of difference-- both in how you feel inside and in how others perceive you. I'm so glad that my kids are getting to see some terrific examples of good sportsmanship in Sochi so that they'll have a better understanding of how to win- and lose- gracefully, even here at home on our neighborhood soccer field.

How do you feel about the Sochi Olympic athletes' attitudes toward winning and losing?

by on Feb. 24, 2014 at 9:30 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
ceciliam
by Cecilia on Feb. 24, 2014 at 9:43 AM

I didn't watch but it's great to hear about the positive attitudes.

SweetLuci
by Silver Member on Feb. 24, 2014 at 9:54 AM

The different attitudes that have been displayed has given us a lot to talk about with our 13 year old dgd. One thing that stood out to me was one of the speed skaters that was expected to win, and didn't do well was asked about that right after his performance, and he basically said something like he didn't know why, he did his best and was just out skated by the other athletes, it just wasn't his day. Then his coach was later screaming that the judging was rigged, and later the speed skater took on the attitude of his coach and was adamant that something beyond himself had caused the problem. We talked a lot about how a coach can be uplifting and supportive when there's a loss or have influence in a different way. DH & I later watched (I think it was 60 minutes) a coach who protected his students in a school shooting. It was an awesome story of his coaching philosophy. We dvr'd it to watch again with her.

AM-BRAT
by Amber on Feb. 24, 2014 at 12:19 PM

Attitude can change everything! Tfs!  :)

mandee1503
by Bronze Member on Feb. 24, 2014 at 7:20 PM

Loved the positive attitudes.

johnny4ever
by on Feb. 25, 2014 at 7:47 AM

Great to hear how positive they were.

EmptyNestMama
by on Feb. 25, 2014 at 8:34 AM

I think for the most part they were all positive! Its nice to see!

goddess99
by on Feb. 25, 2014 at 8:43 AM

Nice to hear they had a positive attitude.

Leelee1008
by on Feb. 25, 2014 at 8:53 AM

For the most part I think they were all pretty positive.. most people dream of winning the Gold or medaling.. but I think they are really just excited and glad they made it that far.

momofsixangels
by on Feb. 25, 2014 at 8:56 AM

They reall showed great attitudes and set a great example

Bob192
by Member on Feb. 25, 2014 at 9:03 AM

It is nice that they were supportive of each other!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)