Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advice for Moms Advice for Moms

The Power of a Positive Attitude

One thing that really stood out to me as I watched the Sochi Olympics with my family was the power of a positive attitude.

For example, my husband and I have really enjoyed watching the women's and men's slope style competitors, simply because all of them finished their runs with smiles on their faces, even when things went wrong. They were also quick to hug their competitors, even after losing to them.

Their attitudes made the historic Olympic medal sweep of American slope stylers Joss Christensen (gold), Gus Kenworthy (silver) and P&G athlete Nick Goepper (bronze) way more fun to watch. Check out the three Olympic heroes in the photo above, celebrating their victory at the P&G Family Home.

I also think of Noelle Pikus-Pace, who won silver in the skeleton finals-When she realized she had won, she climbed into the stands, hugged her husband, and told him, "We did it!"

Not "I did it!"

"WE did it!"

Now that's a great wife right there.

Witnessing these fantastic attitudes during the Olympic Games has made the few athletes who have snubbed the press and their competitors really stand out in a negative way.  I won't name names, but if you've been watching the Olympics, you can probably think of a few offhand.

The lesson in all this for my kids is that a positive attitude, even after disappointing results, makes a world of difference-- both in how you feel inside and in how others perceive you. I'm so glad that my kids are getting to see some terrific examples of good sportsmanship in Sochi so that they'll have a better understanding of how to win- and lose- gracefully, even here at home on our neighborhood soccer field.

How do you feel about the Sochi Olympic athletes' attitudes toward winning and losing?

by on Feb. 24, 2014 at 9:30 AM
Replies (71-77):
graycalico
by on Feb. 28, 2014 at 12:24 AM
Yeah. Especially with social media and the Internet. Everything spreads fast and far.

Quoting lillucky8:

i agree :/ it's hard to tell when it's really just one or two people complaining about the problem

Quoting kerryket: The sore losers put themselves in a negative light, now if there really are some issues with judging they also need to be addressed. I do love the positive attitudes many of the competitors had.

graycalico
by on Feb. 28, 2014 at 12:25 AM
Agreed!

Quoting chattycassie:

I love seeing how happy they are for each other. That is what sportsmanship is about. I always tell my kids win or lose it is about the game and sportsmanship. :)

graycalico
by on Feb. 28, 2014 at 12:29 AM
That's a lot to handle! I hope he's able to have a good day

Quoting kerryket:

One of ;my boys struggles with keeping things positive, sometimes I'm in awe of his ability to deal with his limitations with muscular dystrophy , tourette syndrome and ASD, for the most part he can take things in stride, but he takes the negativity of others who do not know or understand what is going on to heart and it takes a toll.  He really has developed a wry sense of humor and when you get to know him he will crack you up with his observations of people around him.  

Today his brother is taking him and one of their friends to a theme park, he can walk but fatigues easy, they are renting a wheel chair so he can spend the whole day and have a good time.  Already he has the issue, he does not mind using a chair, it's a tool and it works, but he cannot stand the attitude and looks he gets from rude people in the parks who see him get up and walk after he rests or horse around with his brother and the people they will be with.  We tell him all the time, hey, ignore them...who are they to you?  But it's there and he's sensitive to it.  It's not in his head and he's not really being over sensitive, we have all seen it.  

Angela4boys
by Bronze Member on Feb. 28, 2014 at 8:39 AM
Of course we all love positive attitudes, it makes an athlete that much more likable and appealing. And although snubbers may not have star appeal, I can understand that too...first, not everyone wants the attention, not everyone is a people person. Second, I can imagine the disappointment and letdown when someone doesn't have the performance they hoped for. They've been working SO hard leading up to this one moment.
kerryket
by Bronze Member on Feb. 28, 2014 at 2:55 PM
They did, he is really tired today, but everyone had a blast.

Quoting graycalico: That's a lot to handle! I hope he's able to have a good day

Quoting kerryket:

One of ;my boys struggles with keeping things positive, sometimes I'm in awe of his ability to deal with his limitations with muscular dystrophy , tourette syndrome and ASD, for the most part he can take things in stride, but he takes the negativity of others who do not know or understand what is going on to heart and it takes a toll.  He really has developed a wry sense of humor and when you get to know him he will crack you up with his observations of people around him.  

Today his brother is taking him and one of their friends to a theme park, he can walk but fatigues easy, they are renting a wheel chair so he can spend the whole day and have a good time.  Already he has the issue, he does not mind using a chair, it's a tool and it works, but he cannot stand the attitude and looks he gets from rude people in the parks who see him get up and walk after he rests or horse around with his brother and the people they will be with.  We tell him all the time, hey, ignore them...who are they to you?  But it's there and he's sensitive to it.  It's not in his head and he's not really being over sensitive, we have all seen it.  

MamaMandee
by Silver Member on Feb. 28, 2014 at 6:09 PM
Any post that starts with a pic of Gus is a okay in my book! That boy is just so cute!!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MamaMandee
by Silver Member on Feb. 28, 2014 at 6:11 PM
I fell in love with Noelle & her family and loved when she said we not I.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)