Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advice for Moms Advice for Moms

Dog Owners please help!!

Posted by on Feb. 25, 2014 at 12:02 PM
  • 41 Replies

We have a nine month old puppy (Catahoula/Mastiff mix) who for the most part is fairly well behaved.  However lately she has started chewing on blankets... nothing else just blankets (well blankets/sheets/comforters).  She has now chewed up a sheet and our comforter.  She doesn't chew the stuffing at all (*knock on wood*) so it is basically all the same fabric, so I don't know if that could have something to do with it?  It is at night when she is in our room, she has toys in there as well so it isn't just that she is bored (I don't think anyway??).  Does anyone have any advice??

by on Feb. 25, 2014 at 12:02 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
ceciliam
by Cecilia on Feb. 25, 2014 at 12:13 PM

There are sprays you can buy that will deter that or you can confine her at night.

This is a new behavior?

ZoeCY
by Silver Member on Feb. 25, 2014 at 2:16 PM

Yes, it has just been the last month or so that she has started doing this.  We used to crate her at night and she had a blanket in there and left it alone, never chewed on it at all. 

Quoting ceciliam:

There are sprays you can buy that will deter that or you can confine her at night.

This is a new behavior?

snowangel1979
by Silver Member on Feb. 25, 2014 at 2:27 PM
Is she chewing or sucking.
My dog sucks on blankets, so I gave her, her own. LOL. (She wasn't taken too early or anything but when she started having seizure she started this sucking IDK)

If she's chewing all of a sudden it could be a couple things. She may be getting her molars.
Did you take the crate out of the house or does she still have access to it?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ZoeCY
by Silver Member on Feb. 25, 2014 at 2:32 PM

Chewing... two big old holes in my new comforter :(

That would make sense!  She still has access to the crate.

Quoting snowangel1979: Is she chewing or sucking.
My dog sucks on blankets, so I gave her, her own. LOL. (She wasn't taken too early or anything but when she started having seizure she started this sucking IDK)

If she's chewing all of a sudden it could be a couple things. She may be getting her molars.
Did you take the crate out of the house or does she still have access to it?

countrygirlkat
by Kathleen on Feb. 26, 2014 at 11:05 AM
1 mom liked this

I would go back to crating her at night but that is just me.  Dogs feel secrue and at home in their crates so if she is used to sleeping in there she may just be board now that she is out at night and getting to curious. 

DanaG70
by Member on Feb. 26, 2014 at 11:12 AM

She is probably teething and the blanket is easier on her gums, my dog did the same thing, in fact the blanket in her crate has holes in it because of it. She'll probably out grow it soon.

I would suggest putting her back in her crate for now, we tried a trail of letting ours out during the night, it didn't last long before she was back in it. She prefers her crate at night, in fact if I forget to close her door before bed, she comes and gets me. 

Starlit_Eyes
by Member on Feb. 26, 2014 at 11:42 AM

What I would do is try to wear her out. Exercise the crap out of her before bedtime to burn off the extra nightime energy and hopefull help her sleep through the night without the midnight snacks. If that doesn't work crate training is another good option until she gets out of the chewy puppy phase

EbonySnow
by on Feb. 26, 2014 at 11:50 AM

not sure about dogs but if my cats were doing that I'd get their teeth checked

AliKatAK47
by Member on Feb. 26, 2014 at 11:56 AM

Give her her own blanket or a chew toy and redirect her attention. 

Basherte
by Bronze Member on Feb. 26, 2014 at 12:03 PM

Hope things work out for you and your pup. 

I don't have a dog. Good luck!
Here's a bump. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN