Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advice for Moms Advice for Moms

Help My 8 year old came home from school crying >:(

Posted by on Feb. 25, 2014 at 8:12 PM
  • 34 Replies

Help my  8 yr old son came home from school  crying... He had a sun today and he got up to get a pencil to do his math and she yelled at him " SIT DOWN!" and he also had to go to the bath room and she yelled at him again, ( his teacher lets them do those things) Then... she left him and another kid ALONE in the class and took the class to another room to watch a movie... ( he sad that they are not suppose to leave them a lone) I called and left a message with his principal but she hasn't called back and it's already 5... He says he doesn't want to go back to school on Thursday because she's suppose to sub again... 

What do I do?

by on Feb. 25, 2014 at 8:12 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
atlmom2
by Ruby Member on Feb. 25, 2014 at 8:19 PM
4 moms liked this
The truth is in the middle. Find out the truth and stay calm. Talk to your son about behaving in school also. Teachers do raise voices and he needs to deal with that. They are human.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Jennifer0458
by New Member on Feb. 25, 2014 at 8:31 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting atlmom2: The truth is in the middle. Find out the truth and stay calm. Talk to your son about behaving in school also. Teachers do raise voices and he needs to deal with that. They are human.

Thank you! yeah he doesn't do well with change so when a sub does teach he has a hard time with it, Idk it's frustrating he seems to get a long with other kids just fine but the teacher aren't always the nicest to him... he does have a listening problem but the older he gets the better he is he's been doing really well for me, that hasn't always been the case,  HE loves his teacher though, so maybe he just missed her and didn't know how to handle the new sub?

mandee1503
by Bronze Member on Feb. 25, 2014 at 8:59 PM
2 moms liked this
I would speak with the principal and possibly his teacher. I would find out exactly what happened and get to the bottom of it. If come Thursday he still wants to miss I would let him miss one day.
awesomemommy2
by on Feb. 25, 2014 at 9:10 PM
Is your son special needs?
countrygirlkat
by Kathleen on Feb. 25, 2014 at 10:24 PM
3 moms liked this

I would talk to the regular teacher and see if you can find out what happened.  I wouldn't go in accusing or upset yet, just asking to see if you can find out more.  It can be hard for kids to deal with change so it could be that the sub wasn't all that harsh but the change threw him off.  It could of course also be that the sub was out of line and the school would appreciate finding that out as well.  Good luck.

othermom
by Silver Member on Feb. 26, 2014 at 11:02 AM
1 mom liked this

I would talk to the teacher and let him know that with the sub things are done different and to ask before he gets up for the bathroom

Pnukey
by Bronze Member on Feb. 26, 2014 at 11:04 AM
5 moms liked this

Talk to the principal and the teacher when she returns. Bad subs are put on a blacklist and not allowed to return to the school. 

My district recently added a "sub evaluation system" that teachers go to after a sub has been in their room. My last sub stole from me, so he will not be returning to my class.

TigerofMu
by Bronze Member on Feb. 26, 2014 at 11:11 AM
1 mom liked this

I'd let him stay home at least until I figured out if I had the whole story.  I would definitely follow up with the regular teacher and the principal.

momrocks2000
by Member on Feb. 26, 2014 at 11:12 AM
3 moms liked this

For a sub to not allow a child to use the bathroom, totally unacceptable at age 8, what 2nd or 3 grade?  Sub would be not be requested back at my DD's school.   A sub teacher leaving two students, solo in a classroom, while the entire classroom vacated to another room to watch a movie, and two children were told to stay in the classroom without supervision, not acceptable.  Wow, this sub is/was way out of line.  She/He should be addressed by the Principal, and the Principal needs to contact the Intermediate School District, and inform them of his decision to take him/her off the substitution teacher list at Principal school, formal write up.  As an Human Resources professional, and well versed in Education, this type of behavior towards a student, espeically Elementary is completely wrong on many levels.   Hugs to your SON, not all subs are like this one, a bad apple. 

Remy11
by on Feb. 26, 2014 at 11:17 AM
1 mom liked this
You need to find out what happened.. Subs have different rules and it may have been that he didn't ask to get the pencil or to the bathroom since that's the regular teachers rules.. He needs to learn to adapt to change.. Life skills is part of education.. Once you find out what actually happened then you can discuss the meanings of things with him so he understands.

As for leaving him and another child alone.. Not a huge deal at all but if at a rule of the school then she needs to be made aware of it. Subs are given very little info unfortunately.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)