Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advice for Moms Advice for Moms

My daughter is 2 1/2 yrs old and still not talking.

Posted by on Feb. 26, 2014 at 3:33 PM
  • 232 Replies

Hello, just wanted to see if can get some advice or just well answers. I am trying to work on this but anyways. My daughter is 2 1/2 years old. She isnt talking yet. Back when she was 18 months, we had took her to to get speech evaulation and the evaulator said that she needs speech therapy but she understands things like the average kid. She told me that kids at around 18 months should be knowing about 50 words or more. and it goes up when they turn 2 to lke 100-300 words? I am not sure just remember reading the speech development online and been trying to get some answers. I have got her hearing checked, she hears fine. She babbles a lot sometimes she says words that I can understand. she says mom, dad, daddy, gross, bye, juice, but most of the time when she wants something from the kitchen she points and grunts and gets frustrated cause i dont know what she wants. and I don't know if she has any expanded words or not..but we do let her watch sesame street, blues clues, etc. She has said some new words, but cant remember all those new words. I know a few poeple have told me that their kid or someone else's kid didn't starting talk til age 3.

My daughter is very smart so she understand more than what i think she understands. It's just that her speech hasn't really changed much. It might run in families not sure, but me and my twin sister didn't talk around her age, we had our own language and would just point at things and grunt, etc. I remember being in a speech class in elementary school. So I am wondering if it has anything to do with her speech delay. I do sit with her and ask her what something is in book, she does say fish, yellow, blue, sometimes other colors and numbers and abc's..She does sing along to alot of songs she hears and sometimes those are very clear to what she is saying...so I just don't understand why she isn't talking yet. She sometimes says look at this, or whats this? eww gross when she poos here smells something stinky. lol it frustrates me too with things she wants and I dont know what she wants...and she does her tantrums and whines cause I dont get her what she wants cause most of the time I have to ask her what she wants and point at things myself, but she does understand to grab something off the table or clean up her toys and put them away. She has brought me my phone or kindle when I asked for them, and i tell her to grab her buddy which is a red panda stuffed animal i got her from the zoo. she loves it, its what she has to have when she goes to sleep. but she also co-sleeps with me...been co-sleeping with her since she was 3-4 months old. I am a new mom, so everything is still new to me and I have asked several questions to my mom and others who have had kids. just wanted to see what everyone will say on here. maybe the same thing. reason why co-slept cause it was the only way would get some sleep when I worked and her father worked....just wanted sleep. We rarely even used her crib...we did for the 1st two months but most of the time after that she would not sleep through the night at all in her crib...and since co-sleeping she will not sleep in her own bed in her own room...so been trying to work on that.....sometimes I talk to her and i dont know if she understands, but she might..I dont know...I just wish she was talking so I know what she wanted....I hate feeling like a bad mom or that I am not doing something right like other mothers are doing. and I hate to think there is something wrong with my child......I know most her behavior is probably normal for her age...but I always question on some of her behavior like its not normal.....but then again I have never been around kids while growing up.....I was 24 when I had my daughter, am now 27. Im still learning and Im just hoping that she will be in the same stage as other kids once she ever starts pre-school or elementary. 

by on Feb. 26, 2014 at 3:33 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
HeadKrobe8789
by Member on Feb. 26, 2014 at 3:38 PM
1 mom liked this

My nephew went through a similar problem.  He doesn't say as many words as he should be and he still babbles (he's currently 2 1/4 years).

Looking into speech therapy couldn't hurt.  You could also grab something and say what it is slowly or take her out and tell her what everything is--maybe she'll comprehend what it is and mimic what you're saying? 

Lyssa03
by Member on Feb. 26, 2014 at 3:45 PM
1 mom liked this
My sisters daughter was the same way. She seemed to "forget" words she used to say. She is 2.5, and my dad "threatened" her with a balloon to say I love you. She's been talking since. She'll walk up to my mom and say "gummy bears please" or "go away" to one of the dogs (pomeranians) and will say I love you and other sentences. They just popped out of her after that. She knows all the words, she just needed some motivation (she found the balloon funny)
Lyssa03
by Member on Feb. 26, 2014 at 3:46 PM
4 moms liked this
Oh and FYI, Einstein didn't talk until he was 4.

Quoting Lyssa03: My sisters daughter was the same way. She seemed to "forget" words she used to say. She is 2.5, and my dad "threatened" her with a balloon to say I love you. She's been talking since. She'll walk up to my mom and say "gummy bears please" or "go away" to one of the dogs (pomeranians) and will say I love you and other sentences. They just popped out of her after that. She knows all the words, she just needed some motivation (she found the balloon funny)
KatiebugsMom711
by Member on Feb. 26, 2014 at 3:49 PM
1 mom liked this

Yes I have heard of that Einstien not talking until he was age 4. I have had several people say their kid didn't start talking til age 3. 

strictmomhere
by Platinum Member on Feb. 26, 2014 at 3:52 PM
This is very common my now 8 year old was 3 in speech did not talk much till 4 get her in speech:)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
KatiebugsMom711
by Member on Feb. 26, 2014 at 3:54 PM

Yeah I sometimes say what it is while pointing at the box. She can say no too, that has been her most word she uses...it is funny. She can clearly say words when she sings along to stuff though, so I know she has to know more words than I think she knows and I have heard that some kids are more into figuring things out before they start talking. So maybe she is one of those children. but yes speech therapy can't hurt I just have to figure out if if my insurance covers it..cause I heard from the speech evaluatist that the insurance she has doesn't cover it if there is no hearing problems. but then I get someone say that they do cover it if get a refferal from her pediatrician. So I am like ok did they lie to me? and why lie? 

Quoting HeadKrobe8789:

My nephew went through a similar problem.  He doesn't say as many words as he should be and he still babbles (he's currently 2 1/4 years).

Looking into speech therapy couldn't hurt.  You could also grab something and say what it is slowly or take her out and tell her what everything is--maybe she'll comprehend what it is and mimic what you're saying? 

KatiebugsMom711
by Member on Feb. 26, 2014 at 3:58 PM

Lol. cute. Well I do try and get her to say the word before I give her anything but she just starts having a tantrum. I dont know if its a tantrum or she wigs out....sometimes I think she has autism, but I know she doesn't because she wouldn't be so lovey with her parents. She is very loveable. She is always hugging me she even kisses me and rubs her hand on me like she is asking me if I am ok. She started saying juice when I had done the thing with telling her juice and pointing to the juice, and she has said I want juice. So maybe doing these things consistently will help her say more. Just seems that she says words and things when she wants to. but I can always try everything you guys are suggesting. :)

Quoting Lyssa03: My sisters daughter was the same way. She seemed to "forget" words she used to say. She is 2.5, and my dad "threatened" her with a balloon to say I love you. She's been talking since. She'll walk up to my mom and say "gummy bears please" or "go away" to one of the dogs (pomeranians) and will say I love you and other sentences. They just popped out of her after that. She knows all the words, she just needed some motivation (she found the balloon funny)

KatiebugsMom711
by Member on Feb. 26, 2014 at 4:03 PM

Yes. I am planning on getting to that now, since I thought about waiting it out, but just doesn't seem to be working, although she says more words than she was, but she isnt saying over 50-100 words. on what this speech evaluatist said. even though I dont know how you would know your child is saying these many words? its just nuts I think for people are expecting our children to learn all this stuff and know things by a certain age.....like with potty training.....its like society is pushing things way too quickly for some kids. I still have to work potty training. but I remember when she just turned 1. I seriously had the nurse ask me if she was potty trained? I'm like really? in my head. It just seems that society is pushing all this stuff on kids these days on what they should do and should be doing at different ages. 

Quoting strictmomhere: This is very common my now 8 year old was 3 in speech did not talk much till 4 get her in speech:)

Lyssa03
by Member on Feb. 26, 2014 at 4:04 PM
Maybe have like a big fluffy ball and throw it at her? I don't know. My dad did it and they had 4 kids as experience. All I have is a 1 year old.

Quoting KatiebugsMom711:

Lol. cute. Well I do try and get her to say the word before I give her anything but she just starts having a tantrum. I dont know if its a tantrum or she wigs out....sometimes I think she has autism, but I know she doesn't because she wouldn't be so lovey with her parents. She is very loveable. She is always hugging me she even kisses me and rubs her hand on me like she is asking me if I am ok. She started saying juice when I had done the thing with telling her juice and pointing to the juice, and she has said I want juice. So maybe doing these things consistently will help her say more. Just seems that she says words and things when she wants to. but I can always try everything you guys are suggesting. :)

KatiebugsMom711
by Member on Feb. 26, 2014 at 4:06 PM

I have tried potty training...but my daughter started being whiny when i would put her on the potty right when she wakes up and then sometimes it's like she didnt want to. So I stopped. I did try the no diaper thing and put her in undies and talked to her about she has to let me know when she has to go, but I also set a timer for 20-30 minutes to put her on the potty. It didn't really work out too well. so I stopped on the potty training for now and work on it later. I did see readiness signs, but then it was like she started regressing, so I just stopped and will wait.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)