Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

What they ate for lunch at Sochi:

Posted by on Feb. 27, 2014 at 11:00 AM
  • 33 Replies

Here is more of the article on what staff, volunteers, journalists ate at Sochi:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/world/olympics/heres-what-we-ate-at-the-sochi-olympics/2014/02/22/e11f98f6-9be4-11e3-975d-107dfef7b668_story.html

Borscht was the crowd favorite there. Otherwise, the food was convention-center-bland and on the pricey side: Coke and a baked potato, $6.50. After a few days, vows to avoid fast food in search of better nutrition were guiltily forgotten. A new mantra was repeatedly overheard: I haven’t eaten this many McDonald’s meals over 20 years.

The Big Mac became a gourmet’s dream, fries an epicurean delight. And soon everyone stopped complaining about having to pay 85 cents for a small vial of ketchup.

There were glorious escapes, when Olympic denizens would fling themselves out of the fences and into the city, following enticing aromas to smoked Russian salmon and caviar pizza. They raved over Georgian khachapuri — describing it as cheese-filled bread offers little sense of its wonders. They marveled at grilled meat on skewers known as shashlik, and the pelmeni — meat-filled dumplings dressed up in sour cream.

by on Feb. 27, 2014 at 11:00 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Mom2Just1
by Mom2boys on Feb. 27, 2014 at 11:08 AM
1 mom liked this

Sad. I never understood a fast food company sponsoring an event that requires being in shape and healthy eating.  Mcdonalds is gross though.

Daisypath Anniversary tickersLilypie Second Birthday tickers

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Breastfeeding tickers

Lilypie Maternity tickers

Bmat
by Barb on Feb. 27, 2014 at 11:31 AM

It sounds as though if they were up for some travel that they could try actual Sochi foods.

Quoting Mom2Just1:

Sad. I never understood a fast food company sponsoring an event that requires being in shape and healthy eating.  Mcdonalds is gross though.

mandee1503
by Bronze Member on Feb. 27, 2014 at 12:04 PM
1 mom liked this
Lunch sounds a lot better then breakfast!
momofsixangels
by Colleen on Feb. 28, 2014 at 8:43 AM

Nothing but junk. And high prices!

Angela4boys
by Bronze Member on Feb. 28, 2014 at 8:49 AM
1 mom liked this
Big Mac may not be one of them...but McDonalds DOES have healthy choices...it's choices though, you have to choose them!
SweetLuci
by Silver Member on Feb. 28, 2014 at 9:03 AM
1 mom liked this

I like the sound of lunch much better than the breakfast.

othermom
by Silver Member on Feb. 28, 2014 at 9:17 AM
1 mom liked this

Not the healthiest meal

Bmat
by Barb on Feb. 28, 2014 at 9:19 AM

The food choices there don't sound appealing. I think I'd have prefered the food eaten by the local people. Too bad more of that wasn't offered.

Quoting momofsixangels:

Nothing but junk. And high prices!

TigerofMu
by Bronze Member on Feb. 28, 2014 at 10:14 AM

I couldn't believe it when I was visiting my friend in England, and the first place he took me was McDonald's!  I wanted local food, to experience the culture!  Not to go find something that I didn't even choose at home!

Whereismymind
by Bronze Member on Feb. 28, 2014 at 12:11 PM
2 moms liked this
Wow!

Quoting TigerofMu:

I couldn't believe it when I was visiting my friend in England, and the first place he took me was McDonald's!  I wanted local food, to experience the culture!  Not to go find something that I didn't even choose at home!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured