Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advice for Moms Advice for Moms

working moms with sick kids???

Posted by on Feb. 27, 2014 at 8:16 PM
  • 108 Replies
I have been a SAHM for two years and now I'm wanting to start working again. I have no family that can help when my kids are sick. They are twins and seem to catch small colds very easily, no major illnesses or anything but just normal colds and bugs that come around.

What do you do when your kids are sick?
And SO works off so that isn't an option for me. He will keep them if it happens to fall when he is home but other wise I have no clue how to handle these situations. I just dont see an employer being okay with me taking days off for sick kids
by on Feb. 27, 2014 at 8:16 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
atlmom2
by Ruby Member on Feb. 27, 2014 at 8:22 PM
I had to take off. I worked at a doctors office so they understood. Dh had too high powered of a job to take off. I didn'take too many days really. Dd got colds. Kids go to daycare and school with colds and mild coughs.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
BeccaWooten
by Member on Feb. 27, 2014 at 8:26 PM
We are not in a financial spot where I NEED to work but it would help if I did. I am going to try it and if it doesn't work, it doesn't work. Worse comes to worse I'll be back home with my babies. :)
Mom2Just1
by Mom2boys on Feb. 27, 2014 at 9:00 PM
My husband would take off work.
143myboys9496
by Bronze Member on Feb. 27, 2014 at 10:06 PM
1 mom liked this

I'd take off work when I worked days if needed. If dh was off then he handled it. 

tyfry7496
by Silver Member on Feb. 28, 2014 at 12:26 AM
5 moms liked this
Children don't stay home for normal colds and coughs. If they did some kids would never leave the house.

I stayed home when needed. I'm a single parent and most employers understand. If my mom was home she took my son. My friends parents took my son too.
Karen_S
by Member on Feb. 28, 2014 at 12:50 AM
2 moms liked this

My university has a formal policy that my sick days can be used in case of illness of someone I am a primary caretaker for: i.e. child, or even an elderly parent.  So it is just as legitimate for me to use a sick day for my kid as it is it use it myself, and my supervisor has no discretion in stopping me. Of couse, I have to keep it within my sick day allotment - I don't get extra if I have a kid. My husband works at a different university, and has the same rules. I have no idea how common this practice is. 

Momofmenagerie
by Bronze Member on Feb. 28, 2014 at 4:02 AM
I earned PTO every month, virtually all of it went for childhood illness. However, I worked in a family friendly office and they knew I had a child that WOULD GET SICK at some point.
It wasn't a job where someone had to cover me so it was not a big deal.
atlmom2
by Ruby Member on Feb. 28, 2014 at 5:13 AM
2 moms liked this
This. They stay home if they were throwing up or fever. That was rare. Colds and coughs they go to school or daycare.

Quoting tyfry7496: Children don't stay home for normal colds and coughs. If they did some kids would never leave the house.

I stayed home when needed. I'm a single parent and most employers understand. If my mom was home she took my son. My friends parents took my son too.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
seraphimsong
by Member on Feb. 28, 2014 at 5:27 AM
1 mom liked this
Most kids go to school/daycare with little coughs and sniffles.

It's usually when they are puking, have a high fever, have something very contagious or can't participate that you would have to exclude them
stargazerwolf
by Bronze Member on Feb. 28, 2014 at 12:49 PM

If it is some sickness that they actually have to stay home (throwing up, fever, etc) then I sometimes just stay home. For me I have my own grooming salon, set my own hours etc. If it's my 5 year old that has to stay home then sometimes I still bring her if she isn't too bad, she sleeps on the futon I have here. If its my 21 month old then I have to stay home because I can't have her at the salon, she gets in to everything. Lucky for me I can generally reschedule appointments so I can stay home, I just hate to if I have a busy week or something. If I wasn't working for myself I fear I would have been fired for now...we've been sick a lot this year probably due to crazy weather and my 5 year old starting school (more germs to bring). If I can't take off I try to see if a friend can watch them or my ex's relatives, but for the most part I have to fend for myself.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)