Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advice for Moms Advice for Moms

Maternity Leave

Posted by on Mar. 3, 2014 at 8:22 AM
  • 23 Replies
My name is Maria and I am almost 25 weeks pregnant (this weds). I commute to work everyday (one hr there and one hr back). Was wondering when the recommended time to start maternity leave is. Mine is unpaid leave and I am worried if I leave too early and don't earn some paychecks, it may make everything harder. Not sure about how short term disability works in nj and everything I have been looking up just seems so unclear.
by on Mar. 3, 2014 at 8:22 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
tcallisto
by on Mar. 3, 2014 at 8:39 AM
With all 3 of mine I worked until I went in labor. With number 2 I was at work until noon then went to the hospital to be induced. I was always worried if I took off early I would end up going over and have missed a few weeks of time with the baby.
Paigesmommy78
by Bronze Member on Mar. 3, 2014 at 8:44 AM
I would say work till u have baby unless Dr says otherwise ur going to want as munch time with baby as u can get
jbarker9
by Member on Mar. 3, 2014 at 9:03 AM

I had planned on working up until I was going to be induced, but baby was laying on my sciatic nerve the last 3 weeks of my pregnancy and I could barely walk (I worked on a college campus). My due date was Christmas Eve, they wanted to induce me the week before, I went into labor 2 days before my induce date, which was a week after I went on leave lol so even if I would have waited it out another week, I would have went into labor at work.

My maternity leave was unpaid, too, but SO's job luckily pays well enough that it wasn't too much of an issue - he just had to take over my bills for a few months.

Good luck!

momofthreenuts
by on Mar. 3, 2014 at 9:11 AM
That is different for many women. I worked all the way up to having my kids. But of course I had c-sections as well. So that is a question only your doctor would be able to answer for ya.
atlmom2
by Ruby Member on Mar. 3, 2014 at 9:13 AM
I worked till I was a week late. Regret not staying till I was induced a week later. Having a baby is not disability. I took 3 months off, 2 weeks were paid.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Kristen.Marie
by on Mar. 3, 2014 at 9:16 AM
Work until you go into labor, then you'll have more time for after baby is home.
Karmahappens
by Member on Mar. 3, 2014 at 9:18 AM

Here are the laws for state disability

You do not get paid for the first 7 days. IF you leave your job and then apply (leave as in are no longer employed) there is a disability while unemployed program.

Pregnancy - Temporary Disability Benefits for Pregnancy Related Disabilities

If you are pregnant, eligibility for temporary disability benefits is determined in the same manner as for any other disabling condition.  When you have stopped working and your doctor certifies that  you are disabled, complete the claim form (DS-1) and mail it to this Division.  If you become disabled within 14 days of your last day of work, you may be eligible for State Plan temporary disability benefits.  If your disability begins more than 14 days after your last day of work, you may be eligible under the Disability During Unemployment Program.  If your employer has a Private Plan for temporary disability benefits, submit your claim through that plan.

For a normal pregnancy, benefits are usually payable for up to four (4) weeks before the expected delivery date and up to six (6) weeks after the actual delivery date (provided that you have not worked during that time).  A doctor may certify that you are disabled for a longer period if:

You experience specific complications related to pregnancy.

You undergo a Cesarean section.

You have another simultaneous disability.

You are physically unable to do your regular job

IMPORTANT: 
Do not file your claim before your doctor says that you are disabled and unable to work.

Do not file your claim until you have actually stopped working.

Your claim may be denied if you file before you become disabled or before you stop working.

boys2men2soon
by Member on Mar. 3, 2014 at 9:35 AM

I worked until two weeks before my due dates.    I commuted, as well, and did not want to take a chance of going into labor while stuck in stop and go traffic, lol.    

othermom
by Silver Member on Mar. 3, 2014 at 9:38 AM

I was induced with my youngest and worked up until a few days before that. But I worked part time doing in home care

stargazerwolf
by Bronze Member on Mar. 3, 2014 at 10:40 AM

First one I wasn't working, second one, I worked until 5 days before giving birth. I'm a dog groomer and was working at Petsmart at the time and they don't allow you to sit, I did end up sitting a lot the last month or so, but my feet were killing me and I was so exhausted that as soon as I'd get home I'd fall asleep. I worked til 9 some nights and didn't feel I could possibly keep working. I already had limited dogs I could groom, no real big ones and no aggressive or difficult ones. I needed those 5days of rest before baby. I did get short term disability for 6 weeks for maternity leave (it was a portion of my regular pay, $200 some a week) but I had to file for it ahead of time and put in what day I expected to leave (I put in my due date since i had a scheduled csection, but went in to labor anyway and had my vbac)

When I have another, now that I have my own grooming salon I know I won't get paid for maternity leave, but will likely work up until about a week before I'm due. I will have another groomer by then to cover for 8 weeks or so, or may possibly just have someone full time and someone part time so I can stay home for quite awhile and work from home with other things I do. I think it is helpful to have a week of rest before baby, but to not take off too early so you get the most time with baby and don't loose out on paychecks.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN