Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advice for Moms Advice for Moms

Best first pet for 5 yr old

Posted by on Mar. 3, 2014 at 10:49 PM
  • 25 Replies

Poll

Question: Better first pet

Options:

Guinea pig

Beta fish

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 20

View Results

My DH and I have been being nagged by our 5 yr old DS for a pet. We can't have a dog because we don't have a backyard and we don't think it's fair to trap a dog in a condo. We can't have cats because DH has car allergies.

I was looking it up and I've read that it's recommended to get either a Beta fish, snake, hermit crab or a guinea pig. We are both NOT snake people. So that's out. We are afraid the hermit crab will pinch one of the kids. So that leaves a fish or a guinea pig.

So he said "ask The Council" (meaning Cafemom hahaha). So which do you think is a good first pet? The guinea pig or the fish?

I'm home all day so neither animal would be neglected and DS is very good with animals.
by on Mar. 3, 2014 at 10:49 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
lyranightshade
by Member on Mar. 3, 2014 at 10:50 PM
Guinea pig! They're great but you do have to change their bedding frequently.
JasonsMom2007
by Platinum Member on Mar. 3, 2014 at 10:57 PM

We've had so many pets!  My 3 year old has a beta and my son got a guinea pig at 4.  It died when he was 5 from old age though :(  

Guinea pigs make good pets.  They're sweet and durable so they can be cuddled.  Not that a kid should be allowed to be rough with them but they won't easily be injured like a smaller animal.  The betta is ok but my daughter hates that she can't hold him.  All she can do is watch him and feed him.

Both kids actually have rabbits.  Two are outdoor rabbits.  We hold them daily.  We have one inside rabbit and he's my 6 year old's 4-H rabbit.  He's litter trained and we can let him run around the house without him causing any problems.  He's the sweetest thing.  I honestly prefer the rabbit over the guinea pig!

a_and_j_momma
by Gold Member on Mar. 3, 2014 at 11:10 PM
Guinea pig over a fish. You can hold a guinea pig
AM-BRAT
by Amber on Mar. 3, 2014 at 11:12 PM
1 mom liked this
First I love that we are the council. :)

Second, if guinea and fish are the only two choices I say guinea. Maybe both.

We have 2 pigs, one for each kid. We absolutely love them and they are cuddly. Not as personable as dogs but not as cold as fish.

They WILL eventually stink. We thought it wouldn't be a big deal but it was eventually.

They live happily in the garage now. :) Still get as much attention and love still don't worry...
Paigesmommy78
by Bronze Member on Mar. 3, 2014 at 11:13 PM
A Fish bc with guinea pig they have a lot of upkeep and tend to be pretty smelly
GinnysMom1201
by Member on Mar. 6, 2014 at 3:30 PM

I've never had either, but I know from family members giving their kids fish, they die really easily, which would just be heartbreaking for your 5yo! I would go with a guinea pig, they seem like they'd be sturdier!

Bonita131
by Member on Mar. 6, 2014 at 3:49 PM

Guinea pig hands down as they live a lot longer than fish and are much cuter. They also have less disease than fish which is a bonus when you get up in the mornings as you won't have to deal with the "omg please don't let there be another dead fish floating upside down" feeling in your gut, or trying to consol your teary eyed child.

Oh, and believe it or not, some children get very, very, very, attached to their pet fish. 

* sigh *

1frog
by on Mar. 6, 2014 at 7:24 PM

I voted guinea pig because it's life expectancy is longer and its something he can pick up and snuggle. I see nothing wrong though, with starting out with hermit crabs, my son had them for several years around that age and didn't have any problems.

VinVanMom
by Member on Mar. 6, 2014 at 7:38 PM

We love our hamster :) 

Ricanmami88
by Member on Mar. 6, 2014 at 7:41 PM
I have two betta fish. One blue one red. Guinea pigs stink lol.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN