Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advice for Moms Advice for Moms

My son wants to marry me?

Posted by on Mar. 5, 2014 at 9:21 PM
  • 35 Replies
My son is 5. He just started preschool. He was two days late to start kindergarten. The last week or so he keeps telling me he wants to marry me. He says as soon as he gets as big as his daddy I'm gonna be his wife. My husband and I talked to him about it and he was trying to explain that that's just not how it works. He said "why because you married her first? I'm just not old enough yet" he's just not getting it. He sometimes switches to wanting to marry a girl in his class too. So I'm just wondering if this is normal or should I be taking this seriously? I really think he's just confused and sees my husband and I tell each other we love each other so he just thinks since he loves me too? Idk. I need some advice /:
by on Mar. 5, 2014 at 9:21 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
A.J.s_mommy
by Bronze Member on Mar. 5, 2014 at 9:24 PM
I think its normal.
Bmat
by Barb on Mar. 5, 2014 at 9:35 PM
2 moms liked this

Aw, sweet. This is typical, so don't worry about it. You are the main woman that he knows, and he compares all other women in his life to the one who loves him unconditionally, cooks his favorite foods, cares for him when he is sick, and so forth. This stage will pass and he'll marry another woman when he is old enough. Don't be surprised though if he subconsciously chooses someone who resembles you.

antyler
by on Mar. 5, 2014 at 9:37 PM
2 moms liked this
Sweet. He's not going to understand right now. Just enjoy it. One day he won't be so enamored with you.
katiebug840204
by Katie on Mar. 5, 2014 at 9:37 PM
My son(5) told my husband(his daddy) that I was gonna leave him and marry my son! Lol
You just have to laugh sometimes!
aidyns_mommy
by on Mar. 5, 2014 at 9:39 PM
I used to have pretending weddings using that little thing that goes over the arm of a chair as my Vail. I was marrying my pediatrician. He was old lol.

this is very normal.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Jenn8604
by Gold Member on Mar. 5, 2014 at 9:41 PM
All little boys want to marry their mother. Just like all little girls want to marry their father. You're the best example of a woman to him.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MommyChance
by Member on Mar. 5, 2014 at 9:42 PM
Mine did that. I explained that he and I already have a special relationship and I will always be his mom, but when he grows up he will chose a woman to have a special relationship with and she can become his wife if she agrees. He dropped it after that.
Idntreallycare
by on Mar. 5, 2014 at 9:42 PM
3 moms liked this

it's normal, relax.... my son cried when I told him he couldn't marry me because we're already related and because I'm already married. He sobbed and all I heard was "but I'll get you a ring"

beadingmom17
by Silver Member on Mar. 5, 2014 at 9:44 PM
1 mom liked this
Totally normal...it's called the Oedipus Complex. Every kid goes through it. Usually with mom or dad, but sometimes with other prominent male/female role models.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Mommaofalmost2
by on Mar. 5, 2014 at 9:49 PM
Thank you ladies very very much! These comments made me smile and relax.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN