Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advice for Moms Advice for Moms

Paralympic Events: Alpine Skiing

Posted by on Mar. 5, 2014 at 10:10 PM
  • 57 Replies

Xavi Fernandez

Alpine skiing is practiced worldwide and features seven disciplines: downhill, slalom, giant slalom, super-G, super combined, team events and most recently snowboard. Athletes combine speed and agility while racing down slopes at speeds of around 100km/h.

Competition accommodates male and female athletes with a physical impairment such as spinal injury, cerebral palsy, amputation, les autres conditions and blindness/visual impairment.

Athletes compete in three categories based on their functional ability, and a results calculation system allows athletes with different impairments to compete against each other.

Skiers with blindness/visual impairment are guided through the course by sighted guides using signals to indicate the course to follow. Some athletes use equipment that is adapted to their needs including single ski, sit-ski or orthopaedic aids.

IPC Alpine Skiing acts as the International Federation for the sport which is co-ordinated by the IPC Alpine Skiing Technical Committee.

Six events are on the Paralympic Programme: Downhill, Super-G, Super Combined, Giant Slalom, Slalom and Snowboard which will make its debut at the Sochi 2014 Paralympic Winter Games.

To read a more detailed description of each of the events, click here.

Image and article taken from Paralympic.org.

by on Mar. 5, 2014 at 10:10 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
elasmimi
by on Mar. 6, 2014 at 7:51 AM

Kudos to them. Skiing is hard enough for non disabled folks!

ScrChk23
by Amanda on Mar. 6, 2014 at 8:20 AM
I think that is neat how they figure the scores. I do not have the ability or guts to ski, so I applaud anyone who does.
lalasmama2007
by on Mar. 6, 2014 at 8:29 AM

I agree!

Quoting elasmimi:

EmptyNestMama
by on Mar. 6, 2014 at 8:32 AM

Wow! I even lived by a small ski resort growing up and never put on a pair of skies! 

~Don't cry because it's over. Smile because it happened.

johnny4ever
Yesterday at 5:59 AM
by on Mar. 6, 2014 at 8:45 AM

Skiing looks so hard!

SarahSuzyQ
by Bronze Member on Mar. 6, 2014 at 9:02 AM
I love to ski, but no way could I keep up with these guys. Ski racing at this level is so intense! And that is true for anyone, again regardless of disability... So I totally agree, kudos to these athletes!

Quoting elasmimi:

SarahSuzyQ
by Bronze Member on Mar. 6, 2014 at 9:03 AM
Yes, I thought the information about scoring was interesting and helpful. Not a huge modification from Olympic skiing, but it makes sense how they have it structured.

Quoting ScrChk23: I think that is neat how they figure the scores. I do not have the ability or guts to ski, so I applaud anyone who does.
SarahSuzyQ
by Bronze Member on Mar. 6, 2014 at 9:05 AM
Just never got interested? We are about half an hour from a small mountain and have passes to go regularly... And I often see folks there participating in the adaptive ski program as well. :-)

Quoting EmptyNestMama:

Wow! I even lived by a small ski resort growing up and never put on a pair of skies! 

TerriC
by on Mar. 6, 2014 at 9:10 AM

This just amazes me!  So incredible!

othermom
by Silver Member on Mar. 6, 2014 at 9:18 AM

Interesting. excited to see it

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN