Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advice for Moms Advice for Moms

Do you let your kids swear?

Posted by on Mar. 6, 2014 at 4:51 PM
  • 24 Replies

Do you let your kids curse around you? I've heard a lot of pre-teens and teens lately letting the profanity fly around their parents without a care in the world and their parents don't seem to object to the cursing. Do you let YOUR kids swear?

by on Mar. 6, 2014 at 4:51 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Cinnyy
by on Mar. 6, 2014 at 4:53 PM
No I don't i don't find that cute I find that so ghetto more ratchetness
outtamymynd
by Member on Mar. 6, 2014 at 4:55 PM
It happens. That's not something that bothers me.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
OHgirlinCA
by Silver Member on Mar. 6, 2014 at 4:58 PM

If my older children slip I let it go.  As teenagers and young adults I know they probably swear at times.  They understand that it isn't appropriate to swear in certain situations and as far as I have seen, they abide by that.

If my youngest one does, I correct him and explain why swearing isn't appropriate.  He is not yet old enough to understand when it's ok and when it is not.  The older ones are conscious about not swearing in front of their brother. 

frndlyfn
by Platinum Member on Mar. 6, 2014 at 4:58 PM
1 mom liked this

Nope.  Nor do i swear.   If i do use that language you better run and hide since it means i blew my top.

-PB
by Gold Member on Mar. 6, 2014 at 5:46 PM

Yep, ghetto and not cute.  Not cute for kids or adults.  I slip once in a while (like when I step on a lego in the dark) but I think people who walk around cursing like a sailor sound ignorant.

Quoting Cinnyy: No I don't i don't find that cute I find that so ghetto more ratchetness

caydnkeegmom
by on Mar. 6, 2014 at 6:43 PM
1 mom liked this

I don't swear around my kids and they both  know that it is wrong. They are still a little young, 3 & 10. But I feel that swearing is disrespectful. I want my boys to not only be respectful to family, but to others in public.  When my kids are disrespectful, they lose privileges. If I don't enforce these standards when they are young, how are they going to be responsible and respectful when they get older.

curvygurl1912
by New Member on Mar. 6, 2014 at 6:46 PM

No I don't let her swear but she has said something pissed her off before. She is 13.

1frog
by on Mar. 6, 2014 at 6:59 PM

Nope, we didn't he's older now. at about 4 I was told 'I don't f***ing know' when asked if he knew where something was. I knew who was at fault. I sent him to his room, laid into his daddy. Then I had a talk about it not being appropriate with ds. He never said another bad word that I heard until his teens, and then I was pretty much OK with most words. At one point around 11, I think, I remember giving him permission to say hell. He was referring to the movie Hellboy as Heckboy. Just didn't seem right. Guess  he heard me lay into his daddy!

Momofmenagerie
by Bronze Member on Mar. 6, 2014 at 7:19 PM
A minor curse words such as " a**hole" "damnit" are allowed, however he, himself will not say them to me, in social networks, and I doubt at the lunch table.

The worst I've ever heard him say, I had to stifle a giggle . He came in all growly and says" school was totally bassackwards today!"

Well, I think there was a half a curse word in there somewhere.

I'm pleased with this, of course.
1squishysmom
by Bronze Member on Mar. 6, 2014 at 7:35 PM

They are 21 and 18 boys and they slip occasionally. We don't really swear very much. They are well passed the "allowing" stage. It was forbidden when they were little. Once they hit high school, minor slips didn't matter much.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)