Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advice for Moms Advice for Moms

How can we do a better job for moms raising kids with special needs?

Posted by on Mar. 7, 2014 at 4:05 PM
  • 9 Replies

CM and The Stir would really like to provide complete information and support to moms of special needs kids who come to us looking for help. You all are amazing and help our members so much!

What can we do to be the ultimate place for these moms to go?

Do we need to provide better resources and information?

What kinds of real-life stories would you like to read?

What would we need to do to provide all of the help and support moms need when raising kids with special needs - where you wouldn't feel like they needed to be sent anywhere other than cm and The Stir?‚Äč

Are you willing to share your story or advice? Let us know in the comments!

by on Mar. 7, 2014 at 4:05 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
othermom
by Silver Member on Mar. 7, 2014 at 4:16 PM
1 mom liked this

I am not sure.

momofsixangels
by on Mar. 7, 2014 at 5:05 PM

I would love to hear their stories

ScrChk23
by Amanda on Mar. 7, 2014 at 8:33 PM
1 mom liked this

I think moms of kids with special needs NEED a few hours to themselves more frequently than moms of "normal" kids.  It can be a very stressful.  I do not know if there is an organization who offers to care for the child/ren so the mom can go to the grocery store, get a massage, or take a much needed nap.

I do not have any personal experiences outside of seeing moms with special needs kids at schools, out shopping, and at the park.

othermom
by Silver Member on Mar. 8, 2014 at 10:11 AM
1 mom liked this

Quoting ScrChk23:

I think moms of kids with special needs NEED a few hours to themselves more frequently than moms of "normal" kids.  It can be a very stressful.  I do not know if there is an organization who offers to care for the child/ren so the mom can go to the grocery store, get a massage, or take a much needed nap.

I do not have any personal experiences outside of seeing moms with special needs kids at schools, out shopping, and at the park.

It can be very stressfull. My best friend has two special needs kids and rarely gets a break. I have babysat them for her before and it is tough even for short times for me. Of course I usually have my three too and have several hours of 5 kids under age 10.

othermom
by Silver Member on Mar. 8, 2014 at 10:12 AM

Quoting momofsixangels:

I would love to hear their stories

Hearing their stories would be nice

letstalk747
by Bronze Member on Mar. 8, 2014 at 11:51 PM
1 mom liked this

provide resources and info for various DX's

MomBowen
by Member on Mar. 9, 2014 at 11:53 AM
1 mom liked this

Okay as a mom of three unique (read special needs) kiddos (all three grown two with children of their own) one of the things I struggled with was lack of resources for information and understanding of what was happening to my kiddos (and now at least one grandchild).We have discovered that much of our issues are heriditory which creates an issue of its own. Links to major organizations such as http://cerebralpalsy.org/ which is a good resource about Cerebral Palsy. There are a number of other organizations out that are good resources for various disabilities. A list of these organizations would be great. I had to do all that leg work on my own and at times became totally frustrated and depressed by the lack of help and resources. For the various states, there are probably agencies like the Missouri Senate Bill 40 agencies that provide supports and resources for families with disabilities. They can help with respite care which give parents and primary caretakers a few hours to "get away". Also look for independent living centers/agencies as they have similar resources. I thin the biggest thing was finding a shoulder to cry on that understood my frustrations.

kerryket
by Bronze Member on Mar. 9, 2014 at 1:18 PM

Like  respite care, I did some for my employer but ours was in home support/support services and now I believe it just respite for the people I worked for in our area.  They had a med waiver and their son received a certain amount of hours a month, paid for by the state (correct me moms, I don't have med waiver for my son and I'm not familiar with the ins and outs of it).  The issue she had as a mom is one I'm sure you might be familiar with, first the waiting list was years, then providers were from local companies and you would get people who were fingerprinted and had a background check, basic first aid and had experience working with people with disabilities, but you were basically leaving your sometimes non verbal, vulnerable child with a perfect stranger.  On the other hand if you are networking in the community you can get to know some great providers.  I worked for the family already in their child's school where my son was attending, it was great for all of us because I knew what skills he needed help with, he was familiar and liked hanging out with my kids and his mom new he was in safe hands.  

Quoting ScrC3:

kerryket
by Bronze Member on Mar. 9, 2014 at 1:25 PM

I think links to online locator services would help a lot of families who don't know what kind of help is available in their communities.

Advocacy primers and links to great ones to learn to speak up for our kids (I've seen lots of moms linking people up in your groups!)

Places to laugh, as some moms put it to 'dance in the rain' 

resources resources resources for anxiety, depression, anger,

Juggling carreer and home, on crack 101, legal rights, leave, the perfect job...or not, what's perfect for the individual.

Support for our kids, camps, fun stuff, crafts games and activities that work for a variety of challenges and that kids with and without them can do.

Marriage, siblings and extended family...oooh, so much there, I don't even want to turn the page in that book.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)