Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advice for Moms Advice for Moms

Two churches for kids? (piog)

Posted by on Mar. 9, 2014 at 12:28 PM
  • 9 Replies
I am in the process of getting a divorce and my soon to be ex is Catholic. We've always gone to his church and the kids have. The kids, ages 5&7, also go to his church's private school. I am not Catholic and am looking for a non-denominational church to attend. Their dad isn't really open to them going to a non-catholic church. While I think it would be good for them to see that there are choices when it comes to how to celebrate and worship Christ. So, would that be too confusing for them to go to two different churches and as they get older, they could then decide for themselves?

by on Mar. 9, 2014 at 12:28 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
momofsixangels
by on Mar. 9, 2014 at 12:29 PM
2 moms liked this

I think you should take them to the church you want to. If they seem uncomfortable then I would stop.

AM-BRAT
by Amber on Mar. 9, 2014 at 12:34 PM
1 mom liked this

Agree.  :)

Quoting momofsixangels:

I think you should take them to the church you want to. If they seem uncomfortable then I would stop.

anotherandree
by Inga on Mar. 9, 2014 at 12:34 PM
1 mom liked this
I don't know. My first thought was, no it should be fine, but then thinking about it, Catholic services and beliefs are WAY different than many non-demonational churches. For example, Catholics believe that you can't (shouldn't?) pray directly to Christ and God but need a halfway person like a priest or the Pope. Further, In a Catholicism, Mary is a HUGE part but in Protestant religions (pretty much anything not Catholic), she is "just" the person chosen to give birth to Christ. No other big attributes, much like Moses and Abraham are important but not to THAT proportion. IMO, Catholic and Protestant churches are too different.
IAMmomtotrips
by Member on Mar. 9, 2014 at 12:36 PM
I was raised half catholic and half southern baptists (my grandmother is catholic and my parents are baptists), so my religious upbringing was a bit varied to say the least. I do not attend either church regularly now.
Kenre
by Bronze Member on Mar. 9, 2014 at 12:42 PM
I grew up with a Pagan mom and a Catholic dad. They aren't divorced.

When my ex and I went to mediation, though, he wanted the Christian holidays since his mom and dad are Catholic. I get the kids on my Pagan holidays. They go to me if the holidays overlap on the calendar.

My ex has it written in what school they would attend, as well, to keep me from homeschooling them like I had wanted.

If you get joint legal than you have to agree on religion or take turns and he can't stop you. The only way he can make it hard on you is if it is written they will attend his church, religion or something to that affect.

As my ex is finding out now: if it's written - it's the law. If it's not - you can't stop me.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Bleacheddecay
by on Mar. 9, 2014 at 12:45 PM

I think going to more than one church might make them more aware that there are different ways to believe in this world and that couldn't hurt.

atlmom2
by Ruby Member on Mar. 9, 2014 at 1:16 PM

You can be raised in one church and attend another. 

SweetLuci
by Silver Member on Mar. 9, 2014 at 1:38 PM
1 mom liked this

Do you have any written agreements yet? If there's anything about religion, then you have to abide by that.

I think it's a good idea for kids to be exposed to different churches. Just my opinion. That's what we did with ours and it's worked out well. Dh is Catholic, I'm not.

Mrseoc
by Member on Mar. 9, 2014 at 1:41 PM
I think its a great idea. I was raised Catholic and chose to go another direction when I got older. It would have been great to have been exposed to other ideas earlier in life.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN