Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Left handed kids?

Posted by on Mar. 12, 2014 at 12:46 PM
  • 11 Replies

I have had people ask me if my 3 year old DS is left handed and the answer is I am not sure. He often uses his left hand to eat with or to brush his teeth but there are times he uses his right. My Dad told me I need to encourage him to use his right hand more since it is a right handed world. I don't necessarily agree with him but I do find myself putting the pencil in his right hand when I am showing him how to draw something or write his letters.

For those of you with left handed kids, how old were they when you figured out for sure they were left handed? 

If you are right handed, do you find it more difficult to teach a left handed kid how to write or do other things?

by on Mar. 12, 2014 at 12:46 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
emmy526
by Gold Member on Mar. 12, 2014 at 1:50 PM

My son was switching hands to write thru kindergarten..by first grade, he settled on his right hand as the dominant one, altho he is ambidexterous with many things

momofsixangels
by Gold Member on Mar. 12, 2014 at 1:51 PM
1 mom liked this

Im a lefty and so is one of my dd's.

atlmom2
by Ruby Member on Mar. 12, 2014 at 1:52 PM

My BIL and SIL figured out that their son was left handed before one.  He used that hand and reached for rattles etc with it.  I think before 3 for sure you should know. 

I know my uncle uses both because it is nearly 90 and way back when they forced you to be right handed and he is left handed.  He can write, bat and do about everything with both.  It was hard for him at first though.  He was yelled at in school if he tried to use his left hand. 

Raindelay
by on Mar. 12, 2014 at 2:14 PM

This is interesting. Maybe he will be ambidextrous. I wish I knew for sure!

Quoting emmy526:

My son was switching hands to write thru kindergarten..by first grade, he settled on his right hand as the dominant one, altho he is ambidexterous with many things

Momofmenagerie
by on Mar. 12, 2014 at 2:15 PM
1 mom liked this
I was ambidextrous until mid second grade.
Never never " encourage " right-handedness. That is so archiac in thinking.

Your son will decide for himself which hand to use, heck he may decide to use one hand for certain activities and the other for a different set of activities.

The only advice I have ( as this is so far removed from a disability as it can be) is find some books to help teach you, a right hander , how to help him , a possible left hander, on how to to comfortably hold and write with a pencil. That is the most difficult thing to teach to do comfortably

( I had trouble as a lefty teaching by righties!)

He'll figure it out and ya'll will figure it out but there is no shame in being left handed, but I can't help but feel outraged that someone told you to "encourage" him to use his right hand.

He's three, it is his decision from now till forever which hand he uses.

Yes, I'm sorry. I took this very personally. Comparing Lefties and Righties is like comparing blue and brown eyes or hair color.
Raindelay
by on Mar. 12, 2014 at 2:17 PM

This is what I don't want to happen. Hopefully the teachers nowadays are a little more informed. I think it's good to be left handed especially if he ends up playing baseball.

Quoting atlmom2:

My BIL and SIL figured out that their son was left handed before one.  He used that hand and reached for rattles etc with it.  I think before 3 for sure you should know. 

I know my uncle uses both because it is nearly 90 and way back when they forced you to be right handed and he is left handed.  He can write, bat and do about everything with both.  It was hard for him at first though.  He was yelled at in school if he tried to use his left hand. 

mommieT
by on Mar. 12, 2014 at 2:18 PM
1 mom liked this

My DD is a lefty we discovered this when i was teaching her to write her name before entering preshcool. i would put the pencil in her right hand and she would put it in her left so i just went with it. she uses her right hand for most things but she writes with her left. She's 12 now.

Raindelay
by on Mar. 12, 2014 at 2:23 PM

Yes. I guess he will just do whatever is comfortable. My MIL is a lefty and she writes with her left but does a lot of other things with her right. Maybe my DS will be like this too. So would you say that that is what determines if your a lefty or righty... Whichever hand you write with? 

Quoting mommieT:

My DD is a lefty we discovered this when i was teaching her to write her name before entering preshcool. i would put the pencil in her right hand and she would put it in her left so i just went with it. she uses her right hand for most things but she writes with her left. 

Raindelay
by on Mar. 12, 2014 at 2:29 PM

I agree with you totally. I understand my dad's point because it is probably easier being right handed since it is the norm but if his left hand is the strongest, then I want to encourage that. Thank you for the tips. I will look into getting a book  on how to teach him to write since he will be starting preschool soon.

Quoting Momofmenagerie: I was ambidextrous until mid second grade. Never never " encourage " right-handedness. That is so archiac in thinking. Your son will decide for himself which hand to use, heck he may decide to use one hand for certain activities and the other for a different set of activities. The only advice I have ( as this is so far removed from a disability as it can be) is find some books to help teach you, a right hander , how to help him , a possible left hander, on how to to comfortably hold and write with a pencil. That is the most difficult thing to teach to do comfortably ( I had trouble as a lefty teaching by righties!) He'll figure it out and ya'll will figure it out but there is no shame in being left handed, but I can't help but feel outraged that someone told you to "encourage" him to use his right hand. He's three, it is his decision from now till forever which hand he uses. Yes, I'm sorry. I took this very personally. Comparing Lefties and Righties is like comparing blue and brown eyes or hair color.

ConnorsMommy21
by Member on Mar. 12, 2014 at 2:32 PM
1 mom liked this

That's rediculous. I'm left handed and have never had issues

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)