Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

What to do about kindergarten this fall???

Posted by on Mar. 12, 2014 at 12:48 PM
  • 12 Replies

My son is supposed to start kindergarten this fall for the 2014-2015 school year. This year he has been in the private kindergarten class at the daycare he and his little brother go to. The daycare is near my work (kind of) but about 25 minutes from my house so the school he needs to go to is not one they will bus to. I have a few options in mind but I'm hoping somebody out there will give me advice!

-Move both boys to a daycare near my home that will bus to his elementary school. It's a good daycare with a great curriculum and friendly staff. My daycare bill will go from $900/month to $1160/month. This will uproot my 2 year old (he finally doesn't cry when I leave him in the morning and loves his teachers where he is).

-Move just my older son to the daycare near my home so he can go to kindergarten and my younger son can stay where he is already happy and comfortable. Daycare bill goes from $900/month to $1020/month. Biggest problem here is the pain of taking them to two places.

-Keep both boys where they are and have my older son just repeat the private kindergarten he is already in now. My cost stays the same and nothing has to change for them which prevents stress for all of us. The kindergarten is not taught by a teacher with a degree though, just a nice young lady with a high school diploma and some college (I think). He really has learned a lot this year though (he can now write every letter, read very basic 3-4 letter words, do basic addition and subtraction, count to 100, count by tens, etc.) so I do think they follow the same kind of curriculum as public kindergarten. Kindergarten is not required in my state so in 2015 he will just enroll directly in 1st grade.

Any suggestions for me? How important is it to go to the public kindergarten anyway?

by on Mar. 12, 2014 at 12:48 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
iamcafemom83
by Mariah on Mar. 12, 2014 at 1:19 PM
Keep him where he is if kindergarten isn't required.
leeshuh
by Member on Mar. 12, 2014 at 1:35 PM

Thanks for the reply! That does seem most logical to me as well... I just don't want to deprive him of something, ya know?

Quoting iamcafemom83: Keep him where he is if kindergarten isn't required.

Bmat
by Barb on Mar. 12, 2014 at 1:45 PM

Talk with the principal of the school he would attend to see if there are opportunities that he would miss. My inclination would be to move both to the same daycare so your son could get the curriculum in the school as well as be bused from there. It isn't only the one year of busing, he'll need the ride in other years, too.

iamcafemom83
by Mariah on Mar. 12, 2014 at 1:53 PM
Oh I definitely understand:) I think you have a good routine and place for both of them now. He will have had 2 good yrs of K stuff by the time he enrolls. Plus, you could supplement at home. I would contact the school he will be attending for Kindergarten and ask them if they have any recommendations for things you can do at home or websites you could visit to prep him. For us, they really drive home proper writing (capital and lower case), sight words, reading, and basic math and science.
If you have any friends whose kids arw entering 1st before your son does, I would pump them for info!

Quoting leeshuh:

Thanks for the reply! That does seem most logical to me as well... I just don't want to deprive him of something, ya know?

Quoting iamcafemom83: Keep him where he is if kindergarten isn't required.

momofsixangels
by Gold Member on Mar. 12, 2014 at 1:54 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting Bmat:

Talk with the principal of the school he would attend to see if there are opportunities that he would miss. My inclination would be to move both to the same daycare so your son could get the curriculum in the school as well as be bused from there. It isn't only the one year of busing, he'll need the ride in other years, too.

I agree

othermom
by Gold Member on Mar. 12, 2014 at 2:07 PM
1 mom liked this

I would keep him where he is at and work with him some at home too

Karmahappens
by Member on Mar. 12, 2014 at 2:09 PM

I would look into the before and after program at the school he will be attending. If the hours work for you.

othermom
by Gold Member on Mar. 12, 2014 at 2:25 PM

Very true

Quoting momofsixangels:

Quoting Bmat:

I agree

leeshuh
by Member on Mar. 12, 2014 at 3:23 PM
1 mom liked this

That's true, but next year I can hopefully get him special enrollment at a school near his current daycare. They won't allow any transfers this year at all because they moved the boundary lines this year so every child must go to the school they are assigned. Also, in 1st grade it will be all day schooling, rather than just the silly 3 hour half day. I may be able to get my aunt to drop him at 8:15 and a friend to take him home at 3:30. (kindergarten is 8:15-11:30 M-th and 8:15-10:30 Fr.) 

Quoting Bmat:

Mom2Just1
by Mom2boys on Mar. 12, 2014 at 3:26 PM

Most schools have aftercare.

Daisypath Anniversary tickersLilypie Second Birthday tickers

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Breastfeeding tickers

Lilypie Maternity tickers

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)