Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Colposcopy?

Posted by on Mar. 12, 2014 at 3:42 PM
  • 17 Replies
Has anyone ever had to have this done? I just got a letter saying I have high grade cervical cell changes. I'm absolutely terrified. I just turned 21 and had my first baby 2 months ago. I'm scared something is seriously wrong with me. What all could it mean?
by on Mar. 12, 2014 at 3:42 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
strictmomhere
by on Mar. 12, 2014 at 4:15 PM
I have had 3 done they will hive u meds you don't feel a thing hope u get good results
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
imamommytobe93
by Member on Mar. 12, 2014 at 5:19 PM
I hope so too what happened with yours? I'm scared something wrong with me

Quoting strictmomhere: I have had 3 done they will hive u meds you don't feel a thing hope u get good results
sfmomto3
by Member on Mar. 12, 2014 at 5:23 PM

I had this done when I was 18.  I did have to have my cervix frozen & scraped due to having dysplasia.  I had follow up paps every 3 months for a year, then 6 months for a year.  Since all paps came back normal I was able to go back to every year.  I am now 39 years old and have never had another abnormal pap or any other issues.  I was scared but I guess I looked at it like I would rather have them be proactive than reactive when it comes to cancer scares.  I hope that helps.  I'm sure they are just being cautious and all will be fine.  

imamommytobe93
by Member on Mar. 12, 2014 at 5:34 PM
What is dysplasia?

Quoting sfmomto3:

I had this done when I was 18.  I did have to have my cervix frozen & scraped due to having dysplasia.  I had follow up paps every 3 months for a year, then 6 months for a year.  Since all paps came back normal I was able to go back to every year.  I am now 39 years old and have never had another abnormal pap or any other issues.  I was scared but I guess I looked at it like I would rather have them be proactive than reactive when it comes to cancer scares.  I hope that helps.  I'm sure they are just being cautious and all will be fine.  

sfmomto3
by Member on Mar. 12, 2014 at 5:37 PM

Abnormal cells on the cervix.  They can lead to cancer that's why they remove them.  Mine were "mild to severe".

Quoting imamommytobe93: What is dysplasia?
Quoting sfmomto3:

imamommytobe93
by Member on Mar. 12, 2014 at 5:44 PM
All my letter said was high grade so I guess it's bad. Does this mean I have a higher chance of cancer later if this is just a scare?

Quoting sfmomto3:

Abnormal cells on the cervix.  They can lead to cancer that's why they remove them.  Mine were "mild to severe".

Quoting sfmomto3:

imamommytobe93
by Member on Mar. 12, 2014 at 5:46 PM
And the letter said something about most cases are caused by hpv and that scared me a lot too. I feel disgusting, I just want to crawl in a hole

Quoting sfmomto3:

Quoting sfmomto3:

sfmomto3
by Member on Mar. 12, 2014 at 5:46 PM

I'm not sure what high grade means. I'm not a doctor but speaking from my own experience (and with my family history of cancer) I haven't had any more "episodes" so maybe you'll be ok.  Make sure you write down all your questions to take with you.  If you're like me, you will forget when you're in there because you nervous and scared.  I'm sorry I'm not much help.  Good luck to you and I'll be praying for good news!

raegan1221
by Bronze Member on Mar. 12, 2014 at 5:48 PM
I've had them done. Its uncomfortable but don't worry about it right now. Probably just a precaution.
acollins09
by on Mar. 12, 2014 at 5:50 PM

I have had 2, and 2 biopsies.  I got nothing for the pain.  One ended in a LEEP procedure and the other turned out fine.  I do not have HPV.  Try not to freak out too much

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)