Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Brian McKeever falls, gets up, wins Paralympic gold

Posted by on Mar. 12, 2014 at 8:26 PM
  • 61 Replies

Brian McKeever falls, gets up, wins Paralympic gold

CBC Sports Posted: Mar 12, 2014 6:40 AM ET

Brian McKeever wins 1K sprint at Sochi Paralympics

Canada's Brian McKeever, left, and his guide Graham Nishikawa made a spectacular recovery to win gold in the men's cross-country one-kilometre visually impaired race on Wednesday at the Sochi Paralympics. (Alexander Demianchuk/Reuters)

Canadian cross-country legend Brian McKeever skied one of the great races in Paralympic history on Wednesday, overcoming an early fall to win gold in the men’s visually impaired 1 km race in Sochi. 

In what has to be the best performance of his Paralympic career, McKeever got tangled up near the start of the race with Russia’s Vladimir Udaltcov and fell to the snow, seemingly putting him out of the running.

But McKeever and guide Graham Nishikawa poured on the speed, overtaking Udaltcov and then fellow Russian Oleg Ponomarev for second, before reeling in Swede Zebastian Modin on the final bend of the course, finishing in a time of 3 minutes, 59.6 seconds. Modin ​took the silver, 1.8 seconds behind McKeever, while Ponomarev ended up winning bronze.

"I thought we were clear," McKeever told the CBC's Signa Butler after the race. "We had a decent start, we were ahead of the other guys, and is just so happened that as I pulled through he skied over my basket and stopped it so I couldn't pull it out and took me down.

"But we didn't panic. We had really good skis ... and we could tell on the first downhill that we were already making up time."

McKeever, of Canmore, Alta.,​ also won gold in the men’s 20K visually impaired cross-country race on Monday. If he wins gold in his final cross-country event, the 10K race on Sunday, he’ll become the first Canadian Winter Paralympian to have won 10 gold medals in a career.

Regardless, his performance in the sprint on Wednesday will be talked about for a long time, a feat made even more remarkable by the fact that the shortest of cross-country disciplines leaves almost no room for error, since there's hardly any time to make up ground.

Read more about the men's nordic competition here.

Congrats to Brian McKeever on his amazing comeback and gold medal victory! Has there ever been a time in your life when you've had a rough start with something, but managed to turn things around and have a positive outcome? Tell us a comeback story from your life, whether sports-related or otherwise!

by on Mar. 12, 2014 at 8:26 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mrswillie
by Platinum Member on Mar. 13, 2014 at 7:38 AM
Such an inspiration.
kmqw229
by Bronze Member on Mar. 13, 2014 at 7:59 AM
Congrats to him!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
SarahSuzyQ
by Bronze Member on Mar. 13, 2014 at 8:25 AM
I agree. I can't wait to tell my son about his race and show him a video... The power of persistence.

Quoting mrswillie: Such an inspiration.
EmptyNestMama
by on Mar. 13, 2014 at 8:27 AM

My whole life has been a comeback story. From the loss of my parents early on, to a catastrophic autoimmune disease and many other things. We have to take one day at a time! 

Brian McKeever is an inspiration!

~Don't cry because it's over. Smile because it happened.

arpazia
by Member on Mar. 13, 2014 at 8:53 AM
Heck yeah!
That's awesome
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mrswillie
by Platinum Member on Mar. 13, 2014 at 8:53 AM
I feel the same way about my life. I was abused as a child, lost my middle son then my grandson.

Quoting EmptyNestMama:

My whole life has been a comeback story. From the loss of my parents early on, to a catastrophic autoimmune disease and many other things. We have to take one day at a time! 

Brian McKeever is an inspiration!

goddess99
by on Mar. 13, 2014 at 9:06 AM

Hmm I don't think I have a come back story but good for him!

Bmat
by Barb on Mar. 13, 2014 at 9:15 AM

Congratulations to Brian!!

momofsixangels
by Gold Member on Mar. 13, 2014 at 9:22 AM

Congrats!!! What a show of human strength!

othermom
by Gold Member on Mar. 13, 2014 at 9:29 AM

That is great. Congrats to him

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)